SV Eye round . Pre cooked then frozen .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
This is more about a different way to do a SV cook than it is about what I had . I've been looking for an easier way for some of this . If you're doing SV , you know how good it can be , but also the time it takes can catch you by surprise .
So I've been buying the whole eye rounds and cutting them into thirds . If it was for SV , I'd pre season and vac it for the freezer . I got to thinking , why not just cook it the day I buy it . Then freeze and re heat when I wanted to eat it . That way the long cook time is done and in a couple hours time on the re heat it's ready .
So I did a trial run with about a 3 lb . Hunk . It worked great .
So the day I bought it , trimmed it up and vac'd a 3 lb section . Into the SV at the standard 132 for 24 hours .
When it was done , I put it in an ice bath . Not trying to stop the cooking , but wanted to get it cooled down asap and into the freezer . NO on the counter time .
SV to a cooler with ice then straight to the freezer .
2 weeks later I was looking for something easy to make for supper . Remembered I had it in there . 2 hours before I wanted to eat , I started the Anova and put the frozen eye in . No pre heat . Came back later made the sides . Then sliced the meat that was waiting on me for a change .
This worked great for me . I'll be doing it again .
So it's about the " idea " , but here's a pics .
Pre cooked and pulled frozen from the freezer .
20201020_145818.jpg
Fired up the SV and dropped the meat in .
20201020_172551.jpg
Couple hours , and it's ready . I don't bother browning these .
20201020_183424.jpg
Basic plate for us . Nice and tender .
20201020_184037.jpg
I'll still do some seasoned and un-cooked , but this works great for short notice .

Awesome! I'm going to keep this in mind. That would really help things along for quick week night meals. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: chopsaw
I love it when a plan comes together Rich, nice work, Like! I've been doing just about the same thing with leftover spares lately, right out of the freezer and into the SV @ 165º for 2-3 hours. RAY

So to save a step why not put it in in the morning and let it SV until dinner time? Sliced eye round SV’d at shorter times yields the same as the roast cut at longer.
Slice the thickness you like Vac pac raw . One less cool step same result.

Nice! I did a Chuck and EOR the other day at 131 and pulled the EOR after 30 hrs then the chuck after 48hrs. Into a bowl of fridge temp water when each came out with some ice cubes. Now I've got 28 days to figure out when to eat it.

Oh, I tried the Ranch shaker bottle seasoning this time on the EOR and Chucky. The other lipton beefy mushroom and onion were always a hit.

That would really help things along for quick week night meals. Thanks for sharing!
Yup . That's the idea .
I love it when a plan comes together Rich, nice work
I use it for left overs too , but this gives the same effect of a long SV cook on short notice .

Interesting. I am still considering a SV and will mark this. Like.
I think you would like it and find some great ways to use it .

I've done this before with some different cuts and agree this works great. The convenience after a long day at work can't be overstated.
That's the whole point . Even works great after a long day of sitting on the couch !!
Thanks for the comment .
Nice! I did a Chuck and EOR the other day at 131 and pulled the EOR after 30 hrs then the chuck after 48hrs. Into a bowl of fridge temp water when each came out with some ice cubes. Now I've got 28 days to figure out when to eat it.
Sweet ! Good to hear others have done this . You guys get the point of doing it this way .
I just used the beefy mushroom . I think I like it the best .
I have 2 Anova's . Need to set up a bulk cook .

Reactions: dr k
Looks Great, Rich!!!
I did that with some smaller things, but never a 3 pound Half of an Eye Round.
That is a Perfect idea for people with normal lives, like after work, but I really have no schedule, so I can put it in 24, 30, or 48 hours before we plan on eating it.
Then I can do what you did here with the leftovers.
Any of those ways is Great with an SV.
If I was still working, I'd be doing exactly what you did here, Rich!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear

I really have no schedule,
I don't either . I just got the long cook out of the way , then did the re heat later . We ate most of it , then I vac up the leftovers for my Mom . Works out great .
Thanks for lookin .

Reactions: Bearcarver
That's a great looking plate Chop. I do have to ask - Whats the green stuff in the vacuum bags?

Point for sure
Chris

chopsaw,
thank you for the idea. I have done similar when making back bacon smoked to IT of 140° and then vac and give it a bath to bring it up to temp as well as making it tender before slicing and freezing. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_sunglasses:

chopsaw,
thank you for the idea. I have done similar when making back bacon smoked to IT of 140° and then vac and give it a bath to bring it up to temp as well as making it tender before slicing and freezing.
I bet that works good too . Just did a pastrami flat like that . Fantastic .
That's a great looking plate Chop. I do have to ask - Whats the green stuff in the vacuum bags?

Point for sure
Thanks Chris . Those bags had a green stripe on them .
Great idea!
Those SV circulator’s are sure changing the way we all do things.
We use our’s all the time!
Al
They're great . I have 2 . Use them a lot myself .
This works great for having it without having to plan it .
Looks good!
Thanks Jim .

Great meal Rich! I have a whole EOR in the freezer, I may have to give this method a try. I cook and cool immediately when making pastrami or chicken for salad. The quick roast sounds delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky