SV EOR! So good!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
I pulled a couple 1LB Eye of the Rounds and gave them a 24 hour bath at 131. came out so feakin good!

these I rubbed and vac packed raw. pulled and dropped frozen to the SV bath. easy and awesome! I dont have pics sorry. been having roast beef samis all week. Delish!

EOR.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's good . I have one cut into thirds , seasoned , vac'd and froze . Ready to drop whenever .

Reactions: sandyut
this is one of those preps that cant be beat! pull, drop, go, and eat in a day. Love it!

Same here but do halves and inject. Last one I used French Onion soup. Wonder if GFS prices for EOR here have stablized. $3lb all the time in the day.

added a pic :) this is the second block - first one is long gone

Oooh man that looks killer. I am gonna try running lower now. Wife likes "well done" so I run 135F but that just looks perfect. I have not seared any yet, you guys? Is there a flavor pickup or mainly presentation?

I have not seared any yet, you guys?
I havent yet, I want to, but havent had the time.

I do want to try 130 for 24 hours then chill to 38, then smoke back up and maybe sear. I have a tri tip seasoned and vacuumed up at the ready...looking for the window of opportunity fire that SV

Reactions: zwiller
Oooh man that looks killer.
and thank you! these are very quickly becoming a fav of mine. so much bang for the buck and nice and easy. hits all the points I like at half the price of store roast beef.

I have not seared any yet, you guys? Is there a flavor pickup or mainly presentation?
I run at 132 . I seared the last one I did . Helps with the looks for sure . I think the smell of beef in a hot cast iron skillet adds to it .
20200101_180434.jpg 20200101_180539.jpg
I am gonna try running lower now. Wife likes "well done" so I run 135F

Sam , you should try the soup / broth trick I use . Works real good for sandwiches .
Run at the temp you like medium rare . Then have the pot of broth or what ever just warm on the stove . Don't boil . Add her slices to the pot to further cook and take the color to where she likes it .
This was beef knuckle cooked rare then finished with beefy onion soup . I just poured the hot soup on the cold meat .
20200728_153249.jpg 20200728_155753.jpg

Reactions: dr k and zwiller
I havent yet, I want to, but havent had the time.

I do want to try 130 for 24 hours then chill to 38, then smoke back up and maybe sear. I have a tri tip seasoned and vacuumed up at the ready...looking for the window of opportunity fire that SV
Plan to do exactly the same here: SV and chill then try sear (HF torch) and smoking. I'd also like to try a sear pre SV. And I am not kidding I am gonna hit it HARD on the sear. Excited, GFS is showing EOR for $3/lb. I will try and post my results when I get to them.

EOR is a favorite here too and in fact these are 90% of the reason I got into SV. Rich's chopsaw chopsaw canadian marindaded pork loin is like the other 10% :emoji_laughing: and in fact going to grill one (made into chops) tonight. Like DUH. Forgot about the broth trick! Thanks for reminding me.

I run at 132 . I seared the last one I did . Helps with the looks for sure . I think the smell of beef in a hot cast iron skillet adds to it .
View attachment 458184 View attachment 458185

Sam , you should try the soup / broth trick I use . Works real good for sandwiches .
Run at the temp you like medium rare . Then have the pot of broth or what ever just warm on the stove . Don't boil . Add her slices to the pot to further cook and take the color to where she likes it .
This was beef knuckle cooked rare then finished with beefy onion soup . I just poured the hot soup on the cold meat .
View attachment 458188 View attachment 458190
That beefy onion soup pkg is a great idea to vac seal with the meat during the cook. Sugar and Spice brand spices that come in like 2oz pkgs that you refill spice bottles with has a dehydrated chopped vegetable pkg I add half the pkg to the packet of onion soup. It's like the dried soup starter without seasoning. The 24+ hour cooks rehydrates it and there the size and tenderness of the dehydrated onion in the soup packet. It can be left in or strained for a vegetable beef broth. Kroger used to have this but got away from the pkg spices but I think I saw pkg spices at Hyvee. I'm out and need to find some.

Reactions: chopsaw
dehydrated chopped vegetable pkg I add half the pkg to the packet of onion soup. It's like the dried soup starter
I've been doing the dried soup packs vac'd up , and even a packet of dried ranch and salad peppers for a Mississippi type of roast .
That's a great idea with the dehydrated veg . I have a package for gumbo . No seasoning . I'll have to do a Cajun style .

Reactions: dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky