SV Disappointing pork chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
New to using a SV but has been game changer on some of my venison cooks. Sam's had a couple of packages of 2.5" thick pork chops and thought prime candidate for my new SV. Instructions called for 135 temp 1 to 4 hours max. Say to lean for supper long SV cook. Soaked for 4 hours then did a quick sear in frying pan. Looked beautiful but was grainy, little tuff and not overly moist. Do you think it was just a poor peace of pork?

I would say it was the the cut. I’ve made some fantastic pork chops doing exactly what you did. Usually though they have been in 1 1/2” thick range. 140° 4-6 hours and uo to 8 hours a few times when I had to start them earlier and leave for the day.

I would say it was the the cut. I’ve made some fantastic pork chops doing exactly what you did. Usually though they have been in 1 1/2” thick range. 140° 4-6 hours and uo to 8 hours a few times when I had to start them earlier and leave for the day.
Thanks

I use 138° for pork chops, but I always brine them for 3 or 4 hours. For every ounce of water, apple juice, or whatever use between .5 gram and 1 gram of salt.

I use 138° for pork chops, but I always brine them for 3 or 4 hours. For every ounce of water, apple juice, or whatever use between .5 gram and 1 gram of salt.
I was thinking brine and or inject for the moisture problem. The chop being tuff is what was so aggravating.

I was thinking brine and or inject for the moisture problem. The chop being tuff is what was so aggravating.
Keep in mind that when you are SV cooking you’re trapping moisture in. That’s why it does what it does. So yes you can brine or dry brine or inject if you want but for SV it’s not necessary.

ieitj The thickness you had I would suggest them at you more than likely needed more time, and or a little higher temp.
Pork chops are one of my favorite things to cook SV and we have done a bunch over the years.
Typically I buy boneless loin and cut to the thickness I want, which again I’ve found 1 1/2”-2” to cook the best. Yes I do bone on too but not as often.
I did some tomahawk style chops once and they were thick, almost 3”. If I remember correct I had them in for 8-10 hours.
As was mentioned I also rest the meat for 30 minutes or so before searing.

I'd say it was the cut of meat. Ive done pork chop tons of times and never had a dry tough one. Our chops are usually 1 1/2 - 2" thick and we do ours at 142 for 2 hrs-ish. I usually go by the 1 hour for 1" of meat rule, sometimes a little longer. Chops are always juicy and there's usually a puddle on the plate as we eat from all the juice.

I'd say it was the cut of meat. Ive done pork chop tons of times and never had a dry tough one. Our chops are usually 1 1/2 - 2" thick and we do ours at 142 for 2 hrs-ish. I usually go by the 1 hour for 1" of meat rule, sometimes a little longer. Chops are always juicy and there's usually a puddle on the plate as we eat from all the juice.
Been doing some loins with better luck. Thinking about trying a pork chop again and letting it rest before the sear. Im still learning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky