SV corned beef opinion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bat119

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
On the border in Saskatchewan
I have 6lbs of brisket dry curing in two vacuumed packed bags (3lbs each.), plan is 14 days cure time then into the sous vide, I've read on other sites 10 hours @ 180* makes for a sliceable product.
My question is should I rinse and repackage or toss the bags in after the cure?
150 ppm cure
2.25% salt + 3 tbs. of my spice mix

My first day with the sous vide any suggestions will be appreciated

I drained, rinsed, and soaked a couple hours twice, then vacsealed again.

Great question, I would rinse & repackage. You may also want to put some more pickling spices in the bag, but no cure. Do you have a smoker? If so here is something you may want to check out.
Al

Great question, I would rinse & repackage. You may also want to put some more pickling spices in the bag, but no cure. Do you have a smoker? If so here is something you may want to check out.
Al
That pastrami looks excellent I'm going for corned beef this round sounds like rinse and repack is the way to go, some pastrami I made a while ago thanks for the reply's

Attachments

• pastrami.JPG
    pastrami.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JLeonard
Definitely don't do that, it will come out inedibley salty. You need to drain the brine out of the bag (reserve it to cook the cabbage and potatoes in), and I would rinse the brisket too, then re-bag it to sous vide it. Reserve the brine from the bag, dilute it with some water in a pot, boil the diluted brine on the stove, then turn down the heat to a low simmer and put the potatoes in, then the cabbage at the end so that those are flavored by the brine.

Last edited:
Reactions: un4gvn1
I vacuum seal and dry brine my corned beef with 1.85% salt. I keep it in the same bag and then SV. Turns out very good. I would repack if I wet brined.

I went 30 hours on mine and it was great.

I've been thinking of doing this also. Looking forward to your results. I'm really enjoying my SV.
LoydB LoydB thanks for the link.
Jim

Reactions: LoydB
Cure way longer than the recipe suggests however, at least a week. I have an uncured spot in the center of mine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky