SV Chucky 50 hours. (More Tender than Prime Rib!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You've inspired me! I borrowed a Suise Vide and stuck a small Chucky in it. Plan is to let it go for 40+ hours (wanted dinner Wednesday night). This is my first time doing Suise Vide!

I'm assuming you were able to vacuum seal it right? If so, let us know what seasonings you went with. Remember the time isn't cooking it, it's making it more tender. The temp you set is basically the level of cook. Like Bear said, 132 is good for medium and I think you have to set it 130 or above to keep it safe anyway.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Agree. I’ve done 50 Hr on a chuckie and and 52 hr on top round. ... both came out well, the top round a little less tender owing to the lean nature of it. But incredible compared to other cooking methods (unless you are shooting for a different animal like pulled beef style, works in a slow cooker).

This is far and away my best gadget purchase in recent memory ... And recent memory is all I’ve got these days at this age :emoji_wink:

Agree. I’ve done 50 Hr on a chuckie and and 52 hr on top round. ... both came out well, the top round a little less tender owing to the lean nature of it. But incredible compared to other cooking methods (unless you are shooting for a different animal like pulled beef style, works in a slow cooker).

This is far and away my best gadget purchase in recent memory ... And recent memory is all I’ve got these days at this age :emoji_wink:

Thank You!!
And LOL on your "Recent Memory" Crack!!
Try Pulled Beef @ 165° for 30 hours---Awesome!!
Pulled Beef Chuck Roast (Perfect) *

Bear

I'm assuming you were able to vacuum seal it right? If so, let us know what seasonings you went with. Remember the time isn't cooking it, it's making it more tender. The temp you set is basically the level of cook. Like Bear said, 132 is good for medium and I think you have to set it 130 or above to keep it safe anyway.
I used a zip lock and got the air out by submerging in water. I used Montreal steak seasoning -- probably the wrong choice but things have been crazy busy and I just wanted to get things started.

Went to about 42 hours before taking the roast out (needed dinner). The texture was great! The flavor was lacking however even with chimichuri sauce. Is there any way to add some on the smoker?

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_172528.jpg
    IMG_20200701_172528.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200701_171336.jpg
    IMG_20200701_171336.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 33
Went to about 42 hours before taking the roast out (needed dinner). The texture was great! The flavor was lacking however even with chimichuri sauce. Is there any way to add some on the smoker?

Did you try putting a pack of Lipton Beefy Onion powder mix in the bag before SVing it, like I did in my original post?

Bear

I followed Bear's technique for the most part. I put texas rub but I like montreal seasoning too and 2 garlic cloves, and butter. The difference is I put a packet of Au Ju seasoning powder instead of the onion soup powder. (couldn't find it in the store).

You should look at getting a food saver. Vacuum sealing the food also helps flavor the meat plus it's great to have anyway for freezing pre or post cook.

You could always throw the meat on the smoker for a bit to get a smoke flavor too. I would but it's more work with my stick burner

Big thumbs, small keys ...

what I didn’t add was the seasoning I’ve used and added to the SV bag a couple times and really like:

• 1/4 cup coarse cracked black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons dry rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons dry oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dry thyme leaves

That’s more than needed to coat a 3-4 lb chucky, can reduce or save extra.

Reactions: banderson7474
Big thumbs, small keys ...

what I didn’t add was the seasoning I’ve used and added to the SV bag a couple times and really like:

• 1/4 cup coarse cracked black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons dry rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons dry oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dry thyme leaves
That’s more than needed to coat a 3-4 lb chucky, can reduce or save extra.

Interesting, what does the cornstarch do?

Interesting, what does the cornstarch do?
I use cornstarch quite often.
This mixture is mainly used for doing a prime rib (and I use it in this case to make a poor mans prime rib out of a chucky in the SV). The cornstarch in the SV modestly thickens the au jus. In an oven roasted prime rib, it forms a slurry with the juices and both helps trap juices and also crisp up and form a bit of a crust. I add some to rubs on chicken skin and wings also and they crisp up a bit more.
I use it for thickener in gravy since it is much more lump-free than flour.
Finally, I use it when making chocolate chip cheesecake - I coat the Embedded chips with a little and it keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.

Gave this recipe a shot this week....everyone loved it! Was hoping to try a sandwich with the leftovers, but there weren't any. Followed Bear's recipe with the beefy onion soup and 50 hours at 132. It came out super tender and delicious. Thanks you Bear!!

Gave this recipe a shot this week....everyone loved it! Was hoping to try a sandwich with the leftovers, but there weren't any. Followed Bear's recipe with the beefy onion soup and 50 hours at 132. It came out super tender and delicious. Thanks you Bear!!

That's Great---Just what I like to hear!!

Bear

I also do them vac'd up with a pack of dry ranch , pepperoncini , whole garlic and a rosemary sprig .
Comes out fantastic . I'm about due for one . Have to try the extended time .
20181124_123743.jpg

I also do them vac'd up with a pack of dry ranch , pepperoncini , whole garlic and a rosemary sprig .
Comes out fantastic . I'm about due for one . Have to try the extended time .
View attachment 455546
I almost pulled the trigger on a packet of ranch last time when I did a sirloin steak. Next time I will. I do a slow cooker roast like that. Packet of Auju, Ranch, pepperoncini and stick of butter.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky