Surf and Turf Skewers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
I typically buy a whole tenderloin at one of our local Asian markets (they sell it cheap, don't think they know how to price them), and I steak out the center. I then take the ends and what meat I harvest from the chain and do kabobs. We had some shrimp in the freezer ready to be cooked so I decided to combine the tenderloin chunks with the shrimp and do surf and turf skewers. Skewers are one of those things that take a long time to prepare but cook up quickly. It's a good meal to prepare and have refrigerated for the week, it's a quick dinner that way!!

Anyway I digress, the meat was marinated for 2 hours in a combination of soy and Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and a little kick of cayenne. The shrimp was marinated along side it in a muddling of basil, sage, lemon thyme, lemon zest, coarse salt and about 5 cloves of garlic. Made into a paste with some olive oil, juice of one whole lemon and Lea & Perrins for chicken and fish sauce, it was tossed in with the shrimp.

So let's start the skewer assembly ......

skewers 01.jpg

..... all dressed up with a drizzle of olive oil and some seasoning, ready for their appearance with my gasser .....

skewers 02.jpg

skewers 03.jpg

skewers 04.jpg

...I prefer to use my Phat Mats for skewers (really all seafood and veggies) to avoid any grate sticking and help defuse the heat for more even cooking. I'm absolutely sold on them ....

skewers 05.jpg

.... 20 minutes with all burners turned on and LOW and we were done and eating ......

skewers 06.jpg

skewers 07.jpg

ENJOY !! TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!!

Good lookin stick there my friend! I haven't used my mats for anything but jerky so far, but you have inspired me to reconsider other options.

Thanks everyone. It's one of those meals that's fairly simple but gets your proteins and veggies in one shot !! The only time the kids actually eat all their veggies !!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky