Superbowl Ham and Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Illinois
I am having a little Super Bowl party so I thought I would make some smoked meats for everyone to snack on while we watch.

I started a month ago by following Pop's instructions for making ham. Here is my leg right after I pulled it from the month long soak in the brine.

bb8839b9_100_7195.jpg

I smoked it at 240deg with Apple wood to an internal temp of 140. This is what it looks like after the smoke.

245b33bc_100_7198.jpg

d13a8582_100_7199.jpg

I also made a turkey. I followed the recipe I found on the Wiki in the Tips Slaughterhouse for brined turkey.

I first soaked the turkey in the brine for two days. This morning I pulled it and injected the Turkey.

ab185c03_100_7202.jpg

I then smoked it at 275 deg to an internal temp of 180 deg. When it was done it looked like this.

da906e02_100_7210.jpg

At this point the ham had been cooking in the oven all day and it was time to dress and glaze the ham.

5759ef59_100_7208.jpg

When it was done my feast was ready!!

6a1e89ae_100_7211.jpg

After the meats cool I will cut the breasts out of the turkey, disassemble the ham and thin slice everything. I have some swiss cheese and colby/jack cheese and some nice sandwich bread so we can make some turkey and ham sandwiches! I also have some pulled pork I made yesterday to round out the meat selection. It looks like I am ready for the big game!!

Reactions: les3176
icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man I wish I was going over to your house for the game. I guess I'll stay here and eat BLT's for the game.

Looks great and all I keep thinking about when I read the following posts is ...please let there be some sliced pics!

Looks awesome... I have to agree w/ SQWIB & Al... i would have loved to see some slices... especially that ham! but i know when your preoccupied w/ throwing a party its hard to remeber to snap every pic! Nice Job!!!!!!!

By the time I got everything sliced the guests started arriving. Sorry, I didn't think about taking pics at that time. Everything went really well, the food was gone in no time. I want to take this moment to thank Pops. He and I have been talking through PM's and without his help I would have never tried my own ham. If any of you are interested in making your own hams I can wholeheartedly endorse his procedure. The ham was sweet, tender and moist. Without any doubt the best I ever had. The hardest part was the month long wait!

Here is the thread where Pops talks you through making a ham:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/89979/from-hog-leg-to-easter-ham

Thanks again Pops!!

You're very very welcome, I'm so glad it all came out good for you and that everyone enjoyed the food!  Never a bother asking me anything at all, that's what we're here for and the value and purpose of this forum, so li'l ol' me in Texas can share a recipe or procedure with y'all many many miles away and bring the same enjoyment and satisfaction for you!  It's Tulsa Jeff that we all should thank for all his time, effort and countless hours and dollars to be able to provide us with this fantastic forum!  Three Cheers for Tulsa Jeff! (and don't forget to send in your premium membership too!)!!

You're very very welcome, I'm so glad it all came out good for you and that everyone enjoyed the food!  Never a bother asking me anything at all, that's what we're here for and the value and purpose of this forum, so li'l ol' me in Texas can share a recipe or procedure with y'all many many miles away and bring the same enjoyment and satisfaction for you!  It's Tulsa Jeff that we all should thank for all his time, effort and countless hours and dollars to be able to provide us with this fantastic forum!  Three Cheers for Tulsa Jeff! (and don't forget to send in your premium membership too!)!!

Here, Here! three cheers for Jeff!  
beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky