Super Fire Door Gasket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pianov

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 26, 2013
Just east of Tampa, Florida
Put a new door on my 20 year old brick smoker a year or two ago and used a round gasket that was glued in place. It finally fell off recently. Wanted something better. So I bought an ultra-high temp flanged gasket from McMaster Carr (Ultra High-Temperature Flange-Mount Rope Edge Seal, 1-1/2" Overall Width, 1/2" Bulb Width). I cut some steel bar that I welded in place to hold the gasket in place. The gasket is held in place with a friction fit. I had it securely/tightly clamped in place as I welded it, so it is held in place very tightly.

​It ain't going' nowhere!

​Although my smoker is brick, being that my door and the door frame are steel, this approach could be taken on any smoker with a steel door.

Below is a picture of my smoker after my upgrades two years ago (new door and new cook chamber door/top).

Below, new gasket welded in place before painting.

Below, finished door hung in place. Added more vents to the upper portion also.

Below is picture of gasket seal between door and door frame. Looks like a perfect seal to me. Fortunately, my repositioning of my hinges appears to have worked out perfect in that the gasket squishes down pretty hard on the hinge end, yet I can still close and secure the door on the other end with good gasket compression.

New gasket with door in place.

One small piece of gasket material left over.

I can't wait to fire this thing up. This great seal on the door plus my additional venting should give me super-control of my firebox. And just is time for the smoked Thanksgiving turkey!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky