Sunday Wings 2 Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmardock

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Orangevale, CA
I never really had the desire to smoke wings, I heard the skin turns out too rubbery, but after seeing this post on Smoking-Meat.com I decided to give it a go. I didn't follow the recipe exactly (didn't have time to brine), but it pointed me in the right direction to make some really good wings!
I bought about 7 lbs and decided to try a couple different flavors.
I put Jeff's rub on half and used a combination butter and Pepper Plant Sauce on the other half (my favorite hot sauce).
I made a rookie mistake of adding the butter/sauce combo before smoking the wings. The cold wings caused the butter to solidify instantly, so the wings got no coverage. I ended up making a 2nd batch of the butter/sauce and added it to them again after they were finished. Both the dry rub wings and the pepper plant wings turned out awesome in the end!

I set my pellet smoker to 180, left them on for about 45 minutes, and finished them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Had some arugula salad, french bread, and baked beans with it. Not a bad Sunday lunch! I'll definitely be making these again. Quick and easy.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 72
Look good

Need to do some wings as its been a while and now I'm craving them.

That pepper plant hot sauce is good stuff.

The wings look really good to me. One question why didn't you just crank up the heat on the pooper?

Point for sure
Chris

The wings look really good to me. One question why didn't you just crank up the heat on the pooper?

Point for sure
Chris

I was a bit pressed for time today. My oven got to 400 faster than it would have taken to bring my pellet grill up to temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky