Sunday Spares with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke 2 geaux

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Denham Springs La.
Last Thursday I went digging in the freezer for some ground meat, and found a rack of spares hiding out in the back.  I pulled them out thinking they would make for a good Sunday afternoon smoke, while i finished cleaning out my shed. (A 3 weekend project)

Here they are with the riblets cut off, and rubbed down with a base of Tony C's and some McCormic pork rub over the top.

c16f7ec7_FEB27RUBBED.jpg

I put them in the smoker at 225ish.  Fuel of choice as usal, Royal Oak lump and Pecan splits.  Here they are at the 3 hour mark getting ready to take a foil nap with a little apple juice.

c4b65de2_FEB27FOIL.jpg

I did the standard 3-2-1.  They came out great.  The 3-2-1 is so predictable, as long as you have control over your temps, even I can do it without screwing it up.

Here they are coming out of the smoker.

3b0923b0_FEB27RACKDONE.jpg

Oh, that baby back on the corner of the cutting board was the lone survivor from a rack I did for some mid-afternoon snacks.  Below is the first rib off the rack of spares.  I was really happy with the way these came out.
ce4f2d3e_FEB27CUTRIB.jpg

Oh, here's a little lagniappe.  Below is a pic of that flap off the back of the spare rack. I usually throw it in the ground meat bag, but I decided to throw it on the smoker this time.  It was a little chewy, but really tasty.  I think I might have found some new cook snacks.

d076a496_FEB27FLAP.jpg

It was a good smoke.  We are having unseasonably warm (even for Lousisiana) weather and it was a great afternoon out in the yard.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky