Sunday Redneck Breakfast (With Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I was born and raised in the south and with the exception of 5 miserable years in the Chicagoland area (WAY too cold!!), have lived in the south my whole life. One of my favorite things about living here is the food culture. I just LOVE countrified cooking. It's hearty, comforting, and warms the soul. I had time this morning, and a hankering to get back to my roots of southern cooking so decided to make a real down-home breakfast. I'm finally waking up from the ensuing nap and decided to share it.

Got the tater grater out and put it to work
002.jpg

Grind up 2 russet baking potatoes, add 1 egg, a splash of milk, some S&P
003.jpg

Mix till well incorporated
004.jpg

Form up the potato pancakes and put in a hot CI skillet with some oil
006.jpg

Coming along nicely
007.jpg

Get out a pack of homemade pepper crusted bacon and put it in the electric skillet
008.jpg

Get the butter and flour going to make the roux for the gravy
009.jpg

Add milk, salt, and pepper to the roux
010.jpg

Gravy done
011.jpg

Potato pancakes done
012.jpg

4 eggs whisked with a splash of milk and a bunch of cheddar cheese into the electric skillet
014.jpg

Biscuits out of the oven
015.jpg

Put gravy on the biscuits and top eggs with homemade smoked fire roasted salsa. Time to tie on the feedbag!!
016.jpg

017.jpg

This was good stuff!! I don't know if it's a good start to the day or the beginning of the end. After a meal like this all you wanna do is go take a nap but I'd do it every time I got the chance :emoji_astonished: I wound up going back for more bacon, another potato pancake, and more biscuits and gravy. Couldn't seem to stop myself.

Thanks for dropping in,
Robert

Nice hearty breakfast Robert!

I'm sorry...did you say something? I was asleep :emoji_wink:

Thanks Steve. I'm really starting to get into a nice breakfast. We won't have long though. Once Spring hits it's work in the yard all weekend and I'm relegated to breakfast tacos.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Looks awesome Robert ! I love a good hearty breakfasts. Ive never been able to do the sweet cereal or doughnut thing. Has to be lots of protein for me. Nice job!

looks great Robert, I got the wife one of those graters after your recommendation, she used it a couple times, she said it works great.

Looks awesome Robert ! I love a good hearty breakfasts. Ive never been able to do the sweet cereal or doughnut thing. Has to be lots of protein for me. Nice job!

Thank you!! When I was a kid of course I did the sweet cereal but I cannot remember the last time I had any type of cereal, sweet or otherwise. Like you I love a good hearty breakfast also.. Since starting to make all my own breakfast meats that's gone into overdrive. now with the advent of this Breakfast forum it's fun to start seeing some nice breakfast posts...which of course inspires me to go a little further with them and make a decent presentation.

Robert

looks great Robert, I got the wife one of those graters after your recommendation, she used it a couple times, she said it works great.

Appreciate it Jim. Glad you got her one and she likes it. I love mine and use it for numerous things. Steve has one very similar that he uses a LOT. he just did some pickles that he used it for slicing and they look awesome. Gonna have to expand the use of mine though since there are so many things you can do with it.

Robert

Appreciate it Jim. Glad you got her one and she likes it. I love mine and use it for numerous things. Steve has one very similar that he uses a LOT. he just did some pickles that he used it for slicing and they look awesome. Gonna have to expand the use of mine though since there are so many things you can do with it.

Robert
yeah she said she's definitely going to try different things, what's steve do with the pickle slices put them in brandy :emoji_laughing:

Robert

The funny, well, not so funny thing, is I had to order probably the most important sized slice/shred cone. The fine shred for a extra 20.00!! It does work very good though.

I must be a redneck cuz I'd eat that meal all day long. Looks great Robert! I would need more gravy also...dang biscuits can soak up gravy about like pancakes making syrup disappear.

Ryan

Looks yummy Robert! I knew in the first paragraph biscuits and gravy was coming. My wife loves the stuff, I never eat it, tho I'd probably force myself if that beautiful brekky plate was in front of me, Like. RAY

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nothing redneck about that, it looks awesome! I figured you were gonna lather the potato pancakes in gravy.

You went all out. Nice! Like!

That is One Beautiful Breakfast, but I could eat that any time.
It looks so freaking good!!
Everything on that plate would make an awesome Bear-Bait!!
Nice Job, Robert!!
Like.

Bear

Love the redneck breakfast Robert. I gotta make the potato cakes. Ill agree nothing like good southern home cooking. My wife's grandmother cooks stuff like this all the time and invites us over. The woman can make white bread and peanut butter taste like the best thing you have ever eaten.

Looks like a fabulous breakfast!! Have you posted a recipe for your salsa? We make a lot of homemade salsas over here and I would love to try yours if you've got a recipe already written down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky