Sunday Church Picnic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
It’s been a while since I posted anything… so here it goes. Got a case of butts from GFS for a church picnic. 8 of them totaling 73lbs. Fed 80+ people no problem, with plenty left over. (We planned for 125 just to be safe) Started at 6pm last night with LJ hickory and a few tubes. Started on LO for 4hrs and then to 230 for about 8hrs then slowly raised to 275 to finish off. I did wrap in butcher paper around 5am. Last one finished around 11am. No complaints and only praise. No pulled pics as I was doing all the pulling.
E038560C-B9C0-4AA3-A55E-BA48BDC2F092.jpeg

4:30am right before wrapping, look at that bark!
B1F8881D-D452-41C0-A02A-7EF41B81EA8B.jpeg

Thanks for lookin!

Last edited:
Great color and bark they sure look good and I'll bet the church crowd enjoyed them

Well done indeed! I like the way meet looks!
The last time we and a picnic with our churches in portland, we also made BBQ, but it looked somehow different. I am not a meat professional, and my task was to eat it and not to make:)

Well done indeed! I like the way meet looks!
The last time we and a picnic with our churches in portland, we also made BBQ, but it looked somehow different. I am not a meat professional, and my task was to eat it and not to make:)
Looks great,, what size rec tec is that 700?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky