Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sam3

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Byram Twp., New Jersey
Welp....I procrastinated long enough, so I jumped in with both feet. I made two 5lbs batches to experiment.
Here's how it went...

First one was with a B&P blend.

3.5 lbs of Venison with 1.5 lbs of ground pork, Jalepeno (ran through the proccesor), cure, blend and water.

Mixed up and going to rest for a few hours.

Side Note: The B&P blend has a liquid smoke added to it. You could definitely smell the hickory while mixing.

Next up, 5 lbs of 80/20 with AC Legg, water and cure.

Mixed and going for a rest as well.

The new grinding/stuffing set up.

The Veni/pork mix with some added Extra sharp Cheddar.

ROOKIE MISTAKE #1....I didn't check the length and made the first chub too long. I had to cut it in half and make two smaller ones
shocked.gif

Three on the left are GB, four on the right are Veni/pork.

In the box.

I applied 2 hours of Hickory and pulled them after 3.5 hours in the box. The IT was 125. Into the poach bath.

And done....

Ice bath to an IT of 110.

Blooming.

I let these rest for about 2 hours and then into the frig overnight.

You're gonna have to wait until tonight for the money shots.
grin.gif

As always, thanks for looking!

icon_cool.gif

Now the sausage looks good but can we get some sliced pics?

What a great setup you have - bet those taste great 

Money shots.

GB with AC Legg blend.

Veni/pork with B&P blend, jalapeno and cheddar.

These slices went fast!
grin.gif

Wrapped up....some of one's you don't see made it to the upstairs frig for pre-dinner snacks!

Summary:
-Next time I will add some Ground Pepper and Mustard seed to both mixes.
-The liquid hickory in the B&P didn't overpower the Sausage, even though I smoke these with Hickory.
-I used collagen casings for this batch. I'm going to try fiberous the next time.
-I think I am going to ramp up the heat quicker next time as well. 130 to 150 to 170. I did my usual 130 to start and then bumped 10 degrees each hour. Seemed like it took a long time to reach 125, with the new mods and all with my Bradley.

Sam

thank you for the pics. I think summer sausage is the best thing ever! Maybe it's because when I was 8 yrs old, hunting with my mom in the cold fall/winter, and we had summer sausage sandwiches in our bag for our quick lunch break... it was the best thing in the world!

Cheers!

The sausages look great Sam, what ratio of cheese did you use? It looks a lot cheesier then my 10% mix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky