Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I also make my own Summer Sausage. These casings are called Hukki. Kinda a pain to work with but the women like the daisy pattern.

90f2d72a_DSC00550.jpg

1ee04612_DSC00560.jpg

23198c84_DSC00592.jpg

Reactions: akbigdaddy
Holy guacamole!!!

That is awesome!

How long does it take to tie that?

Show me how to do it please....

That's cool care to share your source for those casings?

icon_cool.gif

Now those casings are cool but that link that raptor had it said that those were 45 bucks for them.

I get the Hukki in 50ft length right from the source (maker)

The trick to the Hukki is to soak them for 30 mins in luke warm water with 1 tsp salt.

Holy guacamole!!!

That is awesome!

How long does it take to tie that?

Show me how to do it please....
Hahahahahahaha.... thanks for not telling me what a stupid question that was...

I poked around the net and found out how it is done.

I like the way it looks and will put this on my list of things to learn how to do.

Craig

Those look great, I thought about going that route just to try it, but the casings are super expensive. One question I have is.....is there a clear colagan casing in addition to the "net"? Just wondering how you stuff that thing?

The net is over the synthetic casing. It comes in a 50ft compressed length open on both ends. You cut to the length you like, cut a loop for hanging and tie it to one end, then stuff from the open end and hog ring it. Its just like any other synthetic or protein lined casing, you gotta soak it before stuffing. I buy casings right from the manufacturer so they are cheaper.

Those look great, I thought about going that route just to try it, but the casings are super expensive. One question I have is.....is there a clear colagan casing in addition to the "net"? Just wondering how you stuff that thing?

Thanks!

The net is over the synthetic casing. It comes in a 50ft compressed length open on both ends. You cut to the length you like, cut a loop for hanging and tie it to one end, then stuff from the open end and hog ring it. Its just like any other synthetic or protein lined casing, you gotta soak it before stuffing. I buy casings right from the manufacturer so they are cheaper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky