Summer Sausage ----with or without Encapsulated Citric Acid?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
I have seen summer sausage recipes both with and without Encapsulated Citric Acid...What are your thoughts/advice regarding the use of or omitting ECA from your summer sausage recipes?

Thanks

It is also for the safety profile if you want to dry it enough for a shelf stable product. If you will store in the fridge or freeze it, the acid is not really necessary and just gives the tang like Rick mentioned...

I think it's personal preference actually, don't really know till you try it yourself. Not long ago I made some Red Barn from Owen's BBQ...did some with ECA and some without. I liked it both ways, but some of the guys I shared with all liked it with the ECA. But then there's the matter of how much you add.

Ryan

RW, I have ECA in my sausage ingredient cupboard but have never used it. I do like the "tang" flavor and add 1 cup of powdered buttermilk to every 10 pounds of farce when making SS.

I used it and really liked the flavor of the sausage. I have not tried it without ECA so I can't comment about that.

Without. I ferment to the point where I get the tang I like (4.7).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky