Summer Sausage Definition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fajitapot

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
Hello all, browsing and searching through the forum here (I'm a newbie, though experienced professionally) I noticed that many of the Summer Sausage recipes I see posted here don't include cultures at all. Those that buy pre-blended spice mixes probably have it included already (I suspect). Now I'm not looking to debate the pros and cons of the dozens of cultures available necessarily, but it IS my understanding that Summer Sausage is fermented slightly (with culture) in a warm room for 24 hours or so before smoking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that many people don't do this. Aside from generally blending different proteins and bringing them up to a temp near 140℉ with at least the partial use of smoke (often finished with the oven or immersion circulator, etc), doesn't Summer Sausage have to be slightly cultured and fermented by definition?

Not looking for a fight! I'm new here and am well familiar with the hazards of wandering into forums blindly. But I am curious to know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Not sure of the proper definition, but most people around here consider summer sausage a cured smoked sausage in a large caliber casing.
But yes you're right old school summer sausage would contain cure #2 and a culture then fermented. Both are good.
Welcome to the forums

Cool Where are ya now? I'm sure others will be along to to give ya a better explanation, I just thought I'd let ya know you're right and not going crazy

Cool Where are ya now? I'm sure others will be along to to give ya a better explanation, I just thought I'd let ya know you're right and not going crazy

I appreciate that, it seems to be such a popular item here on the forums I couldn't help but start wondering.
I'm in sunny Southern California now. No more shoveling!

Reactions: DanMcG
The type of summer sausage you are referring to is not actually 'cured' in the true sense. Chemicals are added which give the acid tang of fermentation without having to actually ferment the links. One commonly used being encapsulated citric acid powder which will release citric acid at a high temperature in order to not interfere with the cure action in the links. Once the capsule pops/melts, the acid is released giving the tang common with summer sausages.

I call these "faux" summer sausages, or "commercial" summer sausages. They are easy to make and give good results. Less complex flavor IMO, but acceptable. There are a lot of "faux" summer sausage seasoning packs that are sold commercially.

Though I have made some "faux" summer sausages, I am not a fan of them. I rather the real deal.

I've always used F-LC, but it sounds like you are describing a third version. One that's fermented, one that's faux fermented, and one that's none of the above but simply a large format smoked sausage.

I make “summer sausage” like you’re seeing on here. The Old Fat Guy’s recipe actually. No fermenting, just mix and stuff into large fibrous casings, chill overnight, smoke until cooked through. True it’s not a real summer sausage, I guess we just call it that for lack of a better term! It’s in a large log and can be sliced for on crackers.

I can’t speak for everyone but I guess I do it that way because I’m a little nervous of fermenting meat in warm rooms! Haha. And also ingredients are nearly impossible to find here in Nova Scotia. Need to order almost everything online. Even curing salt is not available locally. Tenderquick as far as I can find is not even available ONLINE here!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky