• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer sausage casing question

Doug b

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 25, 2017
Hi again. I purchased a summer sausage kit, for10# of meat from Butcher and Packer. It came with four mahogany casings, am I to assume each holds apx. two and a half pounds? But my main question is, I guess, is it doesnt say if they are pre stuck, and I dont see any holes in them. Do i need to take a pin and poke some holes before, or during the stuffing process? Am I correct that the idea is to let air out when stuffing? How can I tell if they are prestuck, as the ordering info didnt say. Thanks in advance, you guys have been a big help to me before. Doug in Pa.

stayhot

Joined Jul 12, 2011
Soak em in warm water for 30 minutes prior to stuffing and go for it. I never prick my summer sausage casings and always end up with great results. Just make sure you pack them tight.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
stayhot stayhot nailed it. If you feel a void after stuffing. Then prick it if you have already tied it or closed with hog rings. If still open. Then compress the filling.

Doug b

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 25, 2017
Thanks guys. I made it last week had to cut the 24 " casings down so they would fit in my smoker. I used hickory chips, and i couldn't believe how this turned out. Perfect texture and taste, just some of the best food I think Ive ever eaten. Took a little longer then I hoped had to turn up the heat a bit towards the end. Next time ill start ealier in the day. I added a couple three ounces of pepper jack high temp cheese. Yum

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.