Summer sausage casing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doug b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Hi again. I purchased a summer sausage kit, for10# of meat from Butcher and Packer. It came with four mahogany casings, am I to assume each holds apx. two and a half pounds? But my main question is, I guess, is it doesnt say if they are pre stuck, and I dont see any holes in them. Do i need to take a pin and poke some holes before, or during the stuffing process? Am I correct that the idea is to let air out when stuffing? How can I tell if they are prestuck, as the ordering info didnt say. Thanks in advance, you guys have been a big help to me before. Doug in Pa.

Reactions: JC in GB
S stayhot nailed it. If you feel a void after stuffing. Then prick it if you have already tied it or closed with hog rings. If still open. Then compress the filling.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks guys. I made it last week had to cut the 24 " casings down so they would fit in my smoker. I used hickory chips, and i couldn't believe how this turned out. Perfect texture and taste, just some of the best food I think Ive ever eaten. Took a little longer then I hoped had to turn up the heat a bit towards the end. Next time ill start ealier in the day. I added a couple three ounces of pepper jack high temp cheese. Yum

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky