Summer sausage casing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Doug b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Hi again. I purchased a summer sausage kit, for10# of meat from Butcher and Packer. It came with four mahogany casings, am I to assume each holds apx. two and a half pounds? But my main question is, I guess, is it doesnt say if they are pre stuck, and I dont see any holes in them. Do i need to take a pin and poke some holes before, or during the stuffing process? Am I correct that the idea is to let air out when stuffing? How can I tell if they are prestuck, as the ordering info didnt say. Thanks in advance, you guys have been a big help to me before. Doug in Pa.

Reactions: JC in GB
S stayhot nailed it. If you feel a void after stuffing. Then prick it if you have already tied it or closed with hog rings. If still open. Then compress the filling.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks guys. I made it last week had to cut the 24 " casings down so they would fit in my smoker. I used hickory chips, and i couldn't believe how this turned out. Perfect texture and taste, just some of the best food I think Ive ever eaten. Took a little longer then I hoped had to turn up the heat a bit towards the end. Next time ill start ealier in the day. I added a couple three ounces of pepper jack high temp cheese. Yum

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky