Summer Grilling *Q view*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
It's been a while since I posted so I thought I'd check in and post some Q view of some of my summer grilling I've been doing since early May.  It's all grilled, nothing smoked.  But it's worth the post IMO.

Here's a couple of elk steaks.  I had recently met a pretty cool girl, so I thought I'd find out what she's made of and have her try out elk meat.  She loved it.  And it turned her on even more to find out that it's an elk I killed.  So yeah, she's a keeper.  It's been a while since I've come across one of those.  Did I mention that her family has a fruit orchard and does primarily cherry and apples so I have a basically unlimited supply of cherry and apple wood now?  She got me about 1/5 of a cord the other day.  Yeah.  She's a keeper.

And the steaks were really good.  Salt and pepper, grilled on super high heat until medium rare. They were really good.  We ate them with grilled wild asparagus and potatoes.  Solid meal.

7d278608_IMG_0226.jpg

Just a simple petite sirloin, grilled with my secret seasoning of salt and pepper.  I've bought some amazing petite sirloins from Target in the last few months.  I don't know if anyone else has bought them there, but I've been very impressed with the quality.  They taste AMAZING.

d915cfe0_IMG_0166.jpg

Memorial Day cookout at my girlfriend's place.  I think I marinaded the chicken in a mixture of red wine vinegar, red onions, rosemary, salt and pepper, probably some EVOO too.  I can't remember for sure.  As with anything I do on the grill, I just make it up as I go.  It was a solid B effort.  Not bad, but nothing to scream about.  The veggies were GREAT.  I basted them with the same marinade (I kept the veggie baste separate from the chicken marinade to avoid cross-contamination).  I also grilled an artichoke later, but forgot to take pics.  I steamed it most of the way, then poured Kraft Zesty Italian in the hollow, grilled it hollow side up for about 7 minutes, then flipped it and finished it hollow side down for about 5 minutes to let the dressing drip out and give it a little bit of a burn.  It's super good that way.

22261b52_IMG_0228.jpg

The best 'smore ever.  Except that right after I took this picture I dropped it in the sand.  And this was on the shores of Utah lake, so it is not exactly clean sand.  It's more silt and dead mosquitoes than it is anything else.  Pretty gross.  But I made another one and ate it before goofing around with a picture and risking ruining  yet another one.

c1f35d7e_IMG_0340.jpg

This is one my best grill creations ever.  Grilled tilapia.  It was arguably the best fish I've ever done.  I was thrilled with how good this tasted.  My "recipe" is below the pic.

274e8a6a_IMG_0667.jpg

Like I said earlier, I don't really use recipes when I'm doing stuff like this.  I just add stuff and smell it as I go until it smells right.  This is my best guess of my proportions of the ingredients.  I could be off.  

- 1/2 stick melted butter (EVOO would work fine as well I'm sure for the YAWYE crowd, but butter sure tastes great.  And on lean meat like tilapia, a little butter doesn't make me lose any sleep).

- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika 

- 1/2 tsp salt

- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper

- 3/4 tsp powdered garlic

- 1/2 tsp chili powder (I still need more though.  It didn't have any kick at all)

- juice from one full lime

Been a fun summer so far.  I'm looking for an excuse to fire up the smoker.  I'm sure that will happen soon enough.  Pics will follow.

I agree.  I'm not a fan when you hit a real gamey spot in it, but if it's a clean kill and your field prep is good, elk is really, really good.  And this came off a pretty big spike (as spikes go), so I got a lot of high quality meat out of the deal.

Also, guess who drew a cow tag this year?  Give up?  It was me.  I did.  

So I'll have a spike tag and a cow tag to fill this fall.  I'm 99.99999% sure I fill my cow tag.  I've had chances to fill a cow tag every day I've hunted for the last 3 years.  They are just everywhere in the area we hunt.

I think I've got about a 40% chance of filling my spike tag first.  So if I fill both, I'm going to have just a tad of elk meat on hand.  I'm sure I'll have to donate some of it if I do.  Or spend some SERIOUS time making jerky.

Good for you on the tags! As you said when properly taken care of there should be no gamey taste. Div of Wildlife here is complaining they need revenue, yet everyone we know and/or hunt with DID NOT DRAW a tag. I put in for Cow Elk, cause I can't eat the horns, and did not draw. So we'll both be hunting Bulls with over the counter rifle tags and cows for archery, neither of us drew Mule Deer. 

Good luck on the hunt!

I agree.  I'm not a fan when you hit a real gamey spot in it, but if it's a clean kill and your field prep is good, elk is really, really good.  And this came off a pretty big spike (as spikes go), so I got a lot of high quality meat out of the deal.

Also, guess who drew a cow tag this year?  Give up?  It was me.  I did.  

So I'll have a spike tag and a cow tag to fill this fall.  I'm 99.99999% sure I fill my cow tag.  I've had chances to fill a cow tag every day I've hunted for the last 3 years.  They are just everywhere in the area we hunt.

I think I've got about a 40% chance of filling my spike tag first.  So if I fill both, I'm going to have just a tad of elk meat on hand.  I'm sure I'll have to donate some of it if I do.  Or spend some SERIOUS time making jerky.
Cool!

Alright I'm 100% jealous!

All we have are small deer, gator and mickey mouse, none of which taste worth a crud.

Hmm I have a plan, buy a small freezer, load up the generator I used during [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]hurricane's Charley, Frances, Jeanne, and Ivan[/font]. (just for the record I did get stupid and stood in the eyes of three of them) bag an elk and drive back. Its doable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky