SUGGESTIONS FOR A RELIABLE SMOKER TO REPLACE USELESS BROKEN MASTERBUILT DIGITAL ELECTRIC SMOKER THAT WORKED 2.5 TIMES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could you explain what PID is? I don't know what that stands for or what you are referring to.

I too would go the PID route with the existing smoker ... I don't know what the problem with the smoker was... but a PID controller is all that would be needed if the heat element wasn't/isn't the original problem ...

If you are unsure about the element being or bad or good, here is a quick way to check. Fire it up in pitch darkness and see if the element is bright and uniform or spotty. Also, you can check following this link:

Here is a pic of my pid controller from auber

20211207_200632.jpg

The auber pid plugs into wall outlet, the rewired mes smoker plugs into back of auber pid controller.

20211207_200657.jpg

Sensor wire goes into smoker so the auber pid controls temps in smoker, the digital controls on your mes are bypassed.

Ryan

My mes is different than yours but when I first got my mes I had temp swings of 25 to 30 degrees from my set point. So if I set my temp to 250, my temps might swing between 225 and 275. With the auber pid I can hold temps within a couple degrees of set point.

Ryan

Could you explain what PID is? I don't know what that stands for or what you are referring to.

PID, which stands for proportional integral derivative, controllers use a control loop feedback mechanism to control process variables and are the most accurate and stable controller.

Helen what is the model number of your smoker?

Masterbuilt MES 440/S

I am afraid I could not make heads nor tails of your explanation.

More terms that I don't understand!

I am wondering what it is, what it does, how it works, in layperson's terms.

PID, which stands for proportional integral derivative, controllers use a control loop feedback mechanism to control process variables and are the most accurate and stable controller.

Helen what is the model number of your smoker?

Bottom line, it replaces the built-in control unit on your MES, you set the desired temp in the PID and it manages the MES to keep it consistently at that temp.

Not my experience. I went back and forth with customer service via email and the app and website bots both for WEEKS. They never wanted to help me. They just put me off and kept sending me the same two minute video over and over. Promised a call that never came.

I CAN SAY THE SUPPORT ISN'T THERE. Did they answer my emails and conversations with the bot? (BTW, u have to input the same huge amount of info every time u try to initiate a convo with the bot, to get the person behind the bot is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AND TIME CONSUMING. Yes they responded. Did they offer support or actually help me. No.

You have your experience but that is not my experience. I went back and forth with Masturbuilt for WEEKS this summer.

Something tells me you might need to have a look in the mirror as to why you have had such a bad experience.

Even in your posts here you're typing a lot of all caps and seem irritable and frustrated with a few people that are trying to help you out. Nobody here has a dog in the fight, we're here because we like smoking BBQ and like helping each other out. You seem to be combative and looking for a fight even with people trying to help you.

Good luck...

Reactions: zwiller
Helen,
The Auber PID controller, replaces the Masterbuilt's controller system that basically controls the heating element. Turns it off and on when needed to achieve the temp you want. Just like your kitchen oven controls which regulates your oven's heating element.

Hi Helen. I was in similar situation, only my unit worked but I hated the big temp swings. As you I got same suggestions -get the PID!!! I know next to nothing about electric stuff and resisted for almost 2 years before I purchased one. Had some help to identify what wires I needed and in the end it really was not such a big deal. Now I am very happy with the outcome. It works as it should. So don't be afraid to give it a go. You would be disappointed. Good luck.

If I seem angry it is because I AM extremely angry at Masterbuilt and I am pretty sure they read this very popular forum.

I am more interested in Masterbuilt hearing my anger and my horrible experience with their so-called customer service, and in alerting people to how bad this particular Masterbuilt product is (perhaps they all are) so that no one else makes the mistake of buying it than I am with impressing people on this forum with my good attitude.

Since the fixes suggested on this forum are better for people who know how to do electrical fixes and that isn't me, I am using this forum to talk to Masterbuilt more than I am to talk to the members of this forum. However, if anyone is researching Masterbuilt products I do want my experience to benefit them before they've wasted money and time on a Masterbuilt smoker.

There has been one type of fix suggested, which is relatively expensive ($150 part on spec that it is even the problem) and takes tools that I don't have which I would also have to purchase. I have already spent $140 to repair the unit and that was unsuccessful. I am not sure how much I would have to spend after purchasing the part to have the part installed, but the person who fixes this stuff has a service call charge of $180.

I do appreciate the suggestions, but they aren't for me. I was hoping to hear a suggestion that I could implement, but I have not, which is no one's fault of course. I am sorry that my anger turns you off, but there is a reason I am expressing anger in this particular forum, as I've explained.

I have also left bad reviews of this product where possible. You are inferring that I did not get help from Masterbuilt BECAUSE I am angry and use capital letters in my posts. I feel totally ripped off by Masterbuilt and if a customer being angry after a few tries of getting no help on a brand new $400 unit that worked 2.5 times is a problem for this company to the extent that they then refuse to help the angry customer, I want future customers of Masterbuilt to know that Masterbuilt will not help an angry customer.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
So you didn't actually come here for help, which was offered many times. The fix is not much more complicated than plugging the thing in.

Reactions: mcokevin
I am more interested in Masterbuilt hearing my anger and my horrible experience with their so-called customer service, and in alerting people to how bad this particular Masterbuilt product is (perhaps they all are) so that no one else makes the mistake of buying it than I am with impressing people on this forum with my good attitude.
Don't worry, nobody was confused about your intentions.

The fix is not much more complicated than plugging the thing in.

This may be true for a handyman... As we know that the heat element has to be rewired so that it will be able to be just plugged in. So I see her point as to have to pay somebody to have this done ... She will be pushing close to a grand by the time it's all said and done ...

Reactions: RSK and Nefarious
This may be true for a handyman... As we know that the heat element has to be rewired so that it will be able to be just plugged in. So I see her point as to have to pay somebody to have this done ... She will be pushing close to a grand by the time it's all said and done ...
She doesnt have the technical ability. She should just buy a smoker from the recommendations she has been given. She can maybe get some of her money back by selling the shell to someone. If I knew where she lived I'd give.her something for it, make the mods, and then sell it.

I bought a new MES30 and ordered the Auber PID the same day with the plan to do the mod right away, works great. I have a new MES 140S sitting in the box untill I get another Auber PID and get it up and running. The Masterbuilt is not a great unit as is but a few mods and it is as good or better than anything you can buy.

If I seem angry it is because I AM extremely angry at Masterbuilt and I am pretty sure they read this very popular forum.

Since the fixes suggested on this forum are better for people who know how to do electrical fixes and that isn't me, I am using this forum to talk to Masterbuilt more than I am to talk to the members of this forum. However, if anyone is researching Masterbuilt products I do want my experience to benefit them before they've wasted money and time on a Masterbuilt smoker.

There has been one type of fix suggested, which is relatively expensive ($150 part on spec that it is even the problem) and takes tools that I don't have which I would also have to purchase. I have already spent $140 to repair the unit and that was unsuccessful. I am not sure how much I would have to spend after purchasing the part to have the part installed, but the person who fixes this stuff has a service call charge of $180.

I do appreciate the suggestions, but they aren't for me. I was hoping to hear a suggestion that I could implement, but I have not, which is no one's fault of course. I am sorry that my anger turns you off, but there is a reason I am expressing anger in this particular forum, as I've explained.

I have also left bad reviews of this product where possible. You are inferring that I did not get help from Masterbuilt BECAUSE I am angry and use capital letters in my posts. I feel totally ripped off by Masterbuilt and if a customer being angry after a few tries of getting no help on a brand new $400 unit that worked 2.5 times is a problem for this company to the extent that they then refuse to help the angry customer, I want future customers of Masterbuilt to know that Masterbuilt will not help an angry customer.
Helen, this is smoking meat forums... we are a happy group of people that are here to help others! We are not part of masterbuilts customer service department!!!!! And I can guarantee you that masterbuilt does not read this forum! If you want to be angry and leave bad reviews for them then go to their website and do so! OR IN YOUR TONE go do it on facebook! This isn't the place for you to complain...we have tried helping you when it seems you don't really want it. If you ever decide to lose your anger come back and enjoy this fine group of people that are very knowledgeable, and helpful, and friendly!

Ryan

Sorry to hear about your poor customer experience with Masterbuilt. Here is a suggestion. Not sure how #Masterbuilt values their reputation. My daughters Whirlpool dishwasher died 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Young couple faced with unexpected expensive repair. My son-in-law posted a tweet on twitter on the poor equipment experience. Whirlpool responded and sent a repair technician free of charge. You may want to try that one last time, don’t concentrate on the poor service, let them know what you need for resolution. I looked on twitter do have an account M masterbuilt .

Where are you located? There may be a nearby SMF member could lend a hand. The best electric smoker is one that uses a PID controller. PID is a high-tech temperature controller that learns and makes adjustments actively. SMF is the place for builders, repair guys and just plain cheap skates (sorry guys). I bought a cheap (year end sale) manual control electric. I knew it would burn out and need repair. When that happened I built a PID controller, cut holes in it, added a mailbox mod. Now it is a very serviceable smoker. I only use it for jerky, sausage cooks. The temperature control is as good as if not better than my electric oven. My preference is charcoal and wood for the majority of my cooks. That’s the good thing about this “hobby” so many ways to accomplish the end result.

Since you can’t perform repairs, sell it, recoup your losses and move on. Smokin it makes a good entry level manual control unit $430. Their “digital” one begins at $830. Smokin Tex makes a similar high quality product. Both of these units can easily accept a plug and play PID controller in the future. A plug and play PID is about $100 to $500 depending upon bells and whistles.

There is a lot of good advice here. We will be more than happy to assist you in a purchase / repair decision. There are a lot of satisfied MES owners here…sorry you got the lemon….make lemonade or a martini!

RG

Whoa! Why is this thread located under "Exchange Program" ?

Last edited:
If you’re looking for an electric smoker I’d suggest smokin-it. They’re a little more expensive but built like tanks and amazing customer service.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky