Suckling Pig +Boy & Girl Scouts = Great weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Took the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts on a Cabin camp trip this weekend.  Weather was great with snow on the ground.  Very slight winds and temps went from 15 to 35 f.

Marinated a 30 lb piggy in a Cuban Mojo for 12 hrs.  2 gals. OJ, 6ea. Lemons/limes 8 heads Garlic, ½ c salt, ½ c pepper, ½ c Oregano.

Started the piggy at 3:00 AM on the UDS.  Loaded her with Kingsford and some Cowboy lump. And Hickory chunks.  UDS ran at 240 for the first 5 hrs.  then started to drop.  Opened valve all the way temps moved around a little.  Ran at 220ish for the rest of the smoke.  Piggy took 10 ½ hrs to hit 190 in the butts and hams.  Pulled it and placed in a warm oven till presentation.

I allowed myself 12 hrs. to smoke the pig, oh well.  So that was good.  I also had to decapitate the poor piggy.  She wouldn’t fit the drum.  I had done a 21 lb the fit perfect.  The temp issue was due to the amount of fat dripping onto the unlit charcoal.  The UDS fire is not hot enough to burn it off the surrounding fuel.  When the fire creeps to that fuel the fat would lower the temp and hinder the ignition of the fuel.  Just a thought, not sure how to remedy that issue.  But a 30 lb pig would be the only time that is a issue.  So probably not a huge issue.  FYI there was a ½ inch of pork fat in the bottom of the drum the next morning.  I need a scraper.

This turned out great, the kids loved it and about 12 of them (mostly) girls wanted the tongue.  I cut it out and sliced it.  They really liked it.  The presentation got a lot of applause.  Piggy pulled great, all the fat broke down and the meat was perfect.

The kids also cooked breakfast, hash browns and eggs in the discada.  They really like that disk cooking.  We also did two of Pops Cured Turkeys.  They are in the Poultry section. 

06c6f603_CabinCamping006.jpg

35731b98_CabinCamping011.jpg

c0c12af7_CabinCamping012.jpg

be87b9a8_CabinCamping022.jpg

d1589a6c_CabinCamping030.jpg

e1391138_CabinCamping119.jpg

Looks fabulous!!

Thank you for your work with Scouting.

Have a great day!

Craig

Great job man. That pig must have tasted awesome - thanks for taking the time to work with kids. The rewards are truly worth the effort. We volunteed with 4H and love it

icon_cool.gif

Man oh Man you pig loos awesome and I wish that I could smoke one of them but the wife and the 3 girls that we have would want to smoke me before I could even get it on the platter. Now it's super good of you to help the scouts like you are.
yahoo.gif

Nice job! Thanks for working with the kids. Wish I had an experience like that when I was their age.

Thanks for looking.  The kids told (texted) their parents before we headed home.  he parents asked a hundred questions and couldn't believe that we had actually cooked a whole pig while camping.  I told them they should have been there.

And if you're not sure you should try this on a UDS?  Do it.  That 21 lb'er was awesome also.

Here is the link to that smoke.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95541/suckling-pig-uds

Last edited:
Nice Job on the piggy...

That first picture looks like either a Very Large Turkey or a California Condor on a rack...
icon_mrgreen.gif

That first pic looks like me after a night of screwdrivers! I thought maybe you drowned that poor thing for a second..

Great job on that smoke! Just goes to show there ain't much a UDS can't do.

A foil pan on a second shelf will greatly reduce if not eliminate drippage onto the coals.

RW,

That piggy looks awesome! Someone Famous once said, "You will never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child."  Thanks for working with our Scouts, lord knows that we need more kids like the ones involved in Scouting today.  One thing I am sure of, many years from now when they become adults they will remember the time they went on the Cabin Camp and you cooked a whole, (well almost whole) pig for them.  It is people like you that I remember from my years in Scouting. Just keep up the good work RW!

Barry

VirginiaSmokeSignal

looks awsome, i've been wanting to do one on my uds ever since i saw your 21 pounder. how many can you feed from a 20 pound or so piggy? my 30th birthday is coming up and i think it would be great to do something like this.

Here's a picture of scout summer camp. We cooked meat loaf  with asparagus for parents nite and the boys... fed about 60 people.

That's me on the left.

5 dutch ovens cranking.

7477625c_summercamp.jpg

That first pic looks like me after a night of screwdrivers! I thought maybe you drowned that poor thing for a second..

Great job on that smoke! Just goes to show there ain't much a UDS can't do.

A foil pan on a second shelf will greatly reduce if not eliminate drippage onto the coals.
Sounds like that may help.  I'll try that next time.  Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky