1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Substitute for pig snouts/ears, beef and pork hearts?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by doubles shooter, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Does such a thing exist? I finally got a copy of Rytek's book and would love to try a bunch of his recipes, however pig snouts, beef hearts, etc. are scarce around here. Can pork shoulder or a beef cut be used as a replacement? My wife is hoping I can't find the real thing, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

2. Shooter
    Might ask your butcher. Like the heart sometimes they have it or it maybe in the frozen food sections. Pig snouts...more problematic. Maybe beef tripe would work. If you have a Latin based store in area you maybe able to find ears and snout there.
    Maybe pig hocks may also be a substitute for snout. Heart really can't think of a sub for that, except maybe chicken gizzards.

3. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Try an oriental grocery...

4. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Maybe trying to use the snouts for the gelatin ? Don't post the recipe , but maybe a page number ?

5. The first one I would like to try is liverwurst on pg. 356. It calls for 3.5#s of snouts. There is a small butcher shop near here I will check with them. Just looking for a back-up if I strike out there.

chopsaw likes this.
  6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Substitution can be hard to do there is a reason for using those parts.

Warren

chopsaw likes this.
  7. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Chopsaw Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

8. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

We have a local butcher/business that culls hogs on Monday, butchers Tuesday and will sell you everything (legal) but the squeal on Thursday provided you called in advance and place an order. They also butcher beef and much the same fashion everything but the moo.

Trying to substitute specific offal with cuts of meat or other offal probably will not get you a acceptable result.

Best bet is find a local butcher with a store front and call them and ask.

Ethnic grocery are a decent second line of defense but if they are like the one's around here they are not the cleanest places.

9. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Snouts are high in collagen. The Skin off a Picnic Shoulder is a good substitute. Beef Heart is the most active muscle. So other very active muscles are a substitute. Beef Tongue is the next best choice, followed by Shank and any cut from the Round...JJ

10. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The pig snouts are used for the collagen and gelatin which give an excellent bind. IMO, you could substitute raw uncured pork skin and get the same result. Skin may be easier to find....

11. indaswamp

jj beat me to it! LOL!!!

12. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I was thinking the same in post #4 . Maybe fresh pork hocks .

13. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Trotters too but a shoulder is usually easier to find compared to fresh Hocks or feet. At least in the stores where I currently live...JJ

chopsaw likes this.
  14. indaswamp

Only thing about the trotters, at least for me, is all the small bones you have to deal with....

15. chef jimmyj

I don't know how the snouts are used but if cooked first to extract the collagen into a broth, the same can be done to the trotters. Tying them in a few layers of cheese cloth would let the collagen out but hold the bones together. A few minutes of picking and you can get the meat off them...JJ

indaswamp likes this.
  16. indaswamp

Noted. Thanks for the tip.

17. Thanks for the answers and help. I've been busy this week and haven't had time to look. I'm going to try to get up to a local butcher that does custom butchering and see if he can help. If not, I'll try the skin route. That, as had been mentioned above is available. Chopsaw, Thanks for the like.