Sub Sandwiches???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I just love sub style sandwiches, but I’ve only had a few franchise sandwiches that I like, Subway not being one of them. Jimmy John’s isn’t bad but over all kind of bland and the bread is to chewy. Jersey Mike is ok but kinda low on flavor and not a fan of the bread, though it’s not a deal breaker.

Here is what I like in a sub style sandwich.

1) Bread more like a French style, light outer crust, light over all and soft on the inside, and not to thick.

2) Real mayo on that bread and don’t be to stingy.

3) Quality thinly slices meats, and a nice portion.

4) Cheese, Provolone is at the top, but Munster is good too.

5) Thin sliced onion, iceburg lettuce and tomato. These must be thin and freshly sliced. Pilled good but not too high.

6) Salt and pepper over that.

7) A good dose of quality wine vinegar with oil.

I like mustard and pickles too, but for a rank and file sandwich those items vary to much for my liking. In the perfect sandwich they are key but must be what you like.

We have a local shop that makes really good subs along these lines. They are exceptional, but also pretty expensive.

I’ve made some lunch meats, want to make more variety of them also. Homemade is so much better or can be.

My struggle is with bread. I think I want more of a New Orleans style Po-Boy roll but thin. Then I could make my perfect sub sandwich at home.

Whats you guys preferred sub style sandwich? Just curious.

Thanks for any replies.

Eric.

I'll give ya homemade would be best! But after that...around here is limited...so Subway is our choice...actually only choice close.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have never cared for any of the store bought ones I've had up here actually. Mind you subway is the only real option.

I would be pretty close to yours. Your bread is spot on. For meats I'd say salami and a thin sliced dry ham of some form. Cheese probably either sharp white cheddar or provolone.
Mayo and either a hot German mustard or a hot English mustard. Polish or kosher dill pickle.
Red onion and iceberg lettuce. Both sliced thin and not too much. Not overly thrilled about tomato on a sandwich myself

I love subway though I add my own mustard and miracle whip so it's not all soggy by the time I eat it. I find for the price and the stuff to bread ration is fair and they are always fast and polite. I 100% get the Spicy Italian on Italian bread with lettuce, green peppers and red onions. I also make the same item at home though it's not as good for some reason /shrug lol.

Forgot Panera. Their Italian sub is awesome though I haven't had one in the years since I went GF.

I know your dilemma
I occasionally pick up Jimmy Johns day old bread to make at home. for some reason day old is much better than fresh to me.
Sorry gang, Firehouse, Subway, and Jersey Mike's are all sub grade sandwiches and breads..
The best sub bread is a chain back in ND Grand Junction. Flaky crust and soft inside.
Best alternate is cuban bread outside of the salt. Cuban bread is heavily salted.

I know your dilemma
I occasionally pick up Jimmy Johns day old bread to make at home. for some reason day old is much better than fresh to me.
Sorry gang, Firehouse, Subway, and Jersey Mike's are all sub grade sandwiches and breads..
The best sub bread is a chain back in ND Grand Junction. Flaky crust and soft inside.
Best alternate is cuban bread outside of the salt. Cuban bread is heavily salted.
So you're saying you'll deliver to Iowa? With your last diesel bill you definitely have enough to get here once you get home! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
But I am spoiled when it comes to really good french bread. All the little grocery stores bake their own french bread in the store. Fresh and hot everyday @ noon and 5pm... but Leidenheimer is King IMO.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Subway Italian BMT on Italian bread with provolone, not toasted. Lettuce, tomato, onion, green peppers, black olives. Light on salt and pepper and a splash of oil and vinegar. That sandwich comes out perfect every time. The wife and I share a footlong.
We have all the franchises near us but don't frequent them. They are not that much better of a sandwich but cost a lot more than Subway.

I’ve never liked any chain. Some of them have bread with such high sugar content that in Europe some have to classify their breads as cake. I’ve always found Mom & Pop delis to be the best (but sometimes disgusting). The line at lunchtime will let you know.

That said, a full-on Italian is always my go-to unless a Reuben sub is on the menu.

Subway Italian BMT on Italian bread with provolone, not toasted. Lettuce, tomato, onion, green peppers, black olives. Light on salt and pepper and a splash of oil and vinegar. That sandwich comes out perfect every time. The wife and I share a footlong.
We have all the franchises near us but don't frequent them. They are not that much better of a sandwich but cost a lot more than Subway.

That's the one I always get at Subway, but toasted, provolone, lettuce, no tomato, extra onion, extra bell pepper, extra black olives, oil and a little vinegar.

I had one from Firehouse once...it was so "wet" I couldn't eat it (steamed way, WAY too long!)...it was a soggy mess.

Thank you all for the replies. Sometimes a good sub just hits the spot, but finding a good one is tuff around here. I enjoy making the meats. Turkey, roast beef, pastrami, ham are all pretty straightforward. Bologna, mortadella, Krakowska are also fun to make and make excellent sandwiches, but the bread is really the key to me.

Leidenheimer New Orleans Style French Bread for the Win!
This is really what I’m looking for. I’m going to have to research recipes. I wonder if I could find this dough frozen?

I too like a straight up Italian sub, have for decades. A couple years ago Ballistic BBQ did a video on a Chopped Cheese. A few months ago made my first, I am hooked! Don't know if thats considered a sub.

tn_thumbnail.jpg

To me and bread aside each chain has a few selections that are far better than their other offerings. IE Jimmy Johns. Gargantuan is easily a few levels beyond their other offerings. Also make sure to ask for hot peppers (most do not know about and they ARE hot).

Good point and you beat me to it Flatrate Flatrate . To me subs means cold or hot but generally I prefer hot. My absolute fave is roasted turkey club. I had a local joint that made the best and sadly they are gone. No chain even comes close. We are slowly working our way trying to recreate it and getting closer each time. Funny it was mentioned already but cheese is big deal when trying to do that sort of thing an pretty sure they used meunster on that dude. Bread was killer too. I think it was possible they broiled it open face instead of the standard wrap in foil bake.

Reactions: Flatrate
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky