STX Turboforce II grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
Anyone using this grinder? I am thinking of adding it to my Christmas list for the wife to buy. I can't think of much other hunting gear to get and the Cabelas grinder I got years back is only 400 watt and I think I am going to break it trying to make sausage with par frozen meat and pork fat. It loads down real heavy and have been expecting to hear a snap or see smoke.

The cabelas had that same stupid push rod. The cap always pops off on the pull. I made a wooden one and sealed it really good.

stx grinder.jpg

I have an older STX and have had no issues with it. We grind all of our meat for burger with it. I don't use it as a stuffer just as a grinder.

I like to cut the meat into 1"x1"x8"-10" strips. Feeds nicely this way. I usually don't freeze, but it is super cold.

Reading reviews about the parts discoloring and rusting is left in water or not towel dried immediately. Getting Iffy on it now

Reading reviews about the parts discoloring and rusting is left in water or not towel dried immediately. Getting Iffy on it now

With any grinder if you leave the cutting blades and plates in water they will rust. doesn't matter the brand. You need to hand clean and thoroughly dry. I place the Cutters and plates in the oven after washing to male sure they are dry.

Sound like people spouting off on a subject they are unqualified to be talking about.

I have not issues with mine. No discoloring, no rust. But I also take care of the machine properly.

Here's all you need to know to keep things in tip top shape.

Reactions: archeryrob
I've never taken special care with my grinder parts, washed in hot water and air dried ont he counter. I saw one with pictures of an grey oxidized housing after washing.

I looked at the photos and can tell you that guy ran the chute through a dishwasher (probably the plates and cutting knifes too) and did not hand wash it. Looking at the plates he didn't dry them properly. The directions that came with mine specifically says to hand wash all the parts that he shows in the photos. The chute parts are made from polished cast aluminum which are not DW safe.

My wife ran an Ice scoop through the DW that is made from the exact materials the chute is and that ice scoop looked just like that when it came out.

Mine is going on 7 years old, we do 25-30 pound runs a couple times a year. Still looks and works like new.

Since I don't use it to stuff with I'm not sure that I'd pay extra for the foot pedal version. Flip it on and get to grinding.

Cool, Thank you. You are making feel better about it. I like that this one did come with the foot pedal and has a slow setting I could use for grinding par frozen meat to make sausage. Plus is looks to have a big motor. It isn't rated in horse power but by the wattage it is on the way to 2 Hp.

I would never run this stuff through the dishwasher. I only stuff game bags with the grinder. Sausage and snack sticks is usually too sticking to shove down the throat of the grinder and a big pain with the plunger making a suction and trying to pull meat back up.

{EDIT]
I ordered it, but it has to sit under the tree for Christmas, bosses orders. I'll just leave sausage making until most of deer season is over. I can stack burger in the freeze to wait. I'll report back after I use it. I'll probably be too busy looking for Mr Big Horns anyways.

Last edited:
And expensive behemoth of a grinder not properly cared for can fail faster than an inexpensive grinder that is meticulously cared for. In other words, follow the manufacturers instructions. I hand wash everything in very hot water. I have all manner of brushes for the task. On the subject of blades and plates, I have a dedicated cutter blade for each plate. I read somewhere that this will ensure even wear which ensure a good grind. So I ordered extra cutters. Still, one must sharpen blades when necessary. Good luck in your quest.

I was going to get the one you are showing, but they were out-of-stock at the time. While waiting, I got the Kitchner on an Amazon flash sale for $110. Happy-ish with my purchase, but just this week was pondering if I should have got the 24# instead of the #12.

$330 instead of $100 enticed me on the lesser device.

Take the Fan Shroud away and everything else looks like the Chinese Sunmile Grinders. Same as the Kitchener #12 and several other brands. They are very well made and durable. You should get years of use out of it...JJ

Looks like another play at the "wattage" game." I'm betting the true HP is the stated 600 watts no load. Which is about 3/4 HP. If you pushed that at 2000 watts for long I'm sure that either the internal overload will trip. If it has one. Or it will smoke. Relying on momentary "peak" is not a smart way of calculating what it can really handle. With that being said. My grinder is a true 3/4HP and it has done me well. Even with semi-frozen meat and fat.

FWIW.... Polished aluminum parts WILL etch, if electric dish washing soap is applied... The soap is caustic and caustic stuff will etch/dissolve aluminum... I've done that also, with the aluminum ice cream scoop...

FWIW.... Polished aluminum parts WILL etch, if electric dish washing soap is applied... The soap is caustic and caustic stuff will etch/dissolve aluminum... I've done that also, with the aluminum ice cream scoop...
Yep, I effed up and put my grinder pan in the dishwasher. It is now grey instead of silver.

You might be able to restore the high shine by using a buffing wheel attachment for an electric drill and jewelers rouge. Or a soft cloth, jewelers rouge and lots of elbow grease.

Flash sale, $127.49

Kitchener Heavy Duty Electric Meat Grinder 2/3 HP (500W), 3-Speed with Stainless Steel Cutting Blade, 2 Stainless Steel Grinding Plates and Stainless Steel Stuffing Plate

Last edited:
That is certainly another model to consider. I remember some folks here posting about their use of the Kitchener grinder and it's effectiveness. I don't think I read anything negative.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky