Stupid question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Why do sausages curve? Would they be straight if we didn't curl them while making? Is it inherit in the curve of the casings?

If you were going to put a brat on a hotdog bun wouldn't it be better straight?

Nearly everything I see is curved. Maybe we should curve the buns? We finally got the buns and the hotdogs to even out in the packaging. Why get curved buns?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

Why do sausages curve? Would they be straight if we didn't curl them while making? Is it inherit in the curve of the casings?

Nearly everything I see is curved. Maybe we should curve the buns? We finally got the buns and the hotdogs to even out in the packaging. Why get curved buns?

It must be the casings, because my unstuffed sticks don't curve.

Probably the casing trying to shrink more than the meat will allow, while it's drying.

I saw on an episode of Triple D, they had curved buns made special for their sausages. Had Guy cracking' up!!

Bear

Last edited:
The curve is built into the intestine, otherwise the pig would be too long and need extra legs.  
ROTF.gif

Bear got it right on the curve thing with natural casings.  Natural casings do have a slight bend in them even though they appear straight.  All you have to do is link a few fresh ones and you will notice this.  Skinless hot dogs are shot out of plastic tubing, thus remaining straight.  I remember way back when i saw these plastic casings being run through this machine and it seemed that there was a sharp tool in the end of the tube which cut the plastic tubing and the skinless cooked dogs pop'd out ready for cooling.  So natural casings will give you a slight bend [slightly more after smoking/cooking] and the arificial casings will keep the sausage straight. Reinhard

Curved buns will be a problem.  Who can remember if their sausage curves to the left or to the right?   Much to complicated.  And then there is that whole Low Carb thing going on.   ...Don't get me started 

Oh silly.... when you open the bag, you would just set the left handed bun of the left side of the counter and the right handed bun on the right side. Then if properly placed on the pit you'll know which to pull for each brat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky