Stuffed onion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think I'm going to try these today. I'll use some elk burger, chopped onion and bell pepper, cheese and an egg in the stuffing (worried that the elk burger is too lean, so the egg should help it stay together).
Do I need a melon baller to carve the onions out? Or does a spoon work well enough?

-Matt

• Love
Reactions: forktender
I think I'm going to try these today. I'll use some elk burger, chopped onion and bell pepper, cheese and an egg in the stuffing (worried that the elk burger is too lean, so the egg should help it stay together).
Do I need a melon baller to carve the onions out? Or does a spoon work well enough?

-Matt
Spoons are generally a little to thick on the edge. You could get it done but it may look ugly. The melon baller is slick. Can use a coring tool also to make the cuts then spoon it out.

The elk burger stuffing sounds delicious!

Do I need a melon baller to carve the onions out?
I'm doing these today also . I hollowed one out this morning so I could use the insides in some fried taters . Melon baller made fast work of it .
I also have hot dogs in sheep's casings in the smoker . Damn peer pressure .

Comment on the eggs in the stuffing . Might think about allowing some " head space " for expansion .

Good idea about the head space, hadn't thought of that yet.
I always mix eggs in with the cheese when I make lasagna . Adds height to it .
Just a thought . I do think the egg will be a great addition to what your using . I add eggs to a bratwurst formula I do . Great texture .

also have hot dogs in sheep's casings in the smoker . Damn peer pressure .
All the peer pressure on this site is just leading us all to a better place in life, at least that’s what I keep telling myself.
Btw, my Champion juicer should be here first part of the week for emulsifying, got some lamb casings soaking in the fridge just for the occasion.

Reactions: chopsaw
Alright, quick question:
I got 3 of these puppies built (I'll post a new thread with pics later), but my wife isn't a huge fan of alot of smoke on bacon, so I decided I will just bake them. It's 6 strips of bacon outside, and 1/3 pound of elk inside each. Any idea on temp/time of the bake?

On second though, I think I'll use the inkbird and just go to about 145 IT.
Thanks for the inspiration!

I just hollowed mine out , I'm taking mine higher . 160 ish .

Edit .
I should add it's a beef and pork mix , no cure . My son's Swedish meatball mix . It's fantastic .

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge

-Matt
Spoons are generally a little to thick on the edge. You could get it done but it may look ugly. The melon baller is slick. Can use a coring tool also to make the cuts then spoon it out.

The elk burger stuffing sounds delicious!
The melon baller is the trick, it's much sharper than a spoon. But the apple corer works well to make the cuts then scoop out like this thread from about a month ago. I did these like this, but used hot Italian sausage since Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke said that 90% sirloin was too lean.

Reactions: SmokinEdge

-Matt
Now there's an idea, I just happen to have some Elk/bacon burger in the refer that I'm going to use on these.
I'm going to shave some garlic cloves and dice up a pablano and add some Asiago cheese and add a handful of bread crumbs into the mix and baste them in my bbq sauce, so it turns out like meatloaf instead of a burger. 👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky