Stpp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Food saver makes expandable bags that open up to about 14” wide but are pleated on the sides so you cut the bag about 5” longer than needed to allow the pleats to come back to 11” and seal on a regular 12” seal bar. Pretty handy.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Gona order some now

Ok, my question is can I just take enough of pops brine (10%) for each ham add stpp to that and put that into unaltered pops brine to keep submerged. They will be laying on one another and I worry it will force some out. I just figured that they would be so close in ingredients that most of the stpp would stay were I put it. if it did equalize what would be a problem

When I corn beef or a pork butt I do a combination brine (injection + cover brine) like you are talking about.... and here is my process with AmesPhos in the method.
1. Make my brine (it has loads of aromatics) so I simmer it one day and chill overnight.
2. Add Cure #1 to the chilled brine.
3. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight, then to that I add AmesPhos at the rate of 1.8 grams/pound of meat.
4. Inject the brine from step 3 into the meat, then bag it and refrigerate for at least 10 hours (or overnight). In my mind, this gives the AmesPhos a bit of a head start, and prevents it from migrating out of the meat.
5. Next I move the meat into my brine bucket and add the remainder of the chilled brine which will cover the meat.
6. The meat now cures for 12 to 14 days, agitating by spinning the bucket daily.

Over the nest 12-14 days, I don't know if some of the AmesPhos is carried away as liquids do their typical exchange, but I'm very satisficed with the end results. If I didn't use so many aromatics in my corning brine, the daveomak daveomak injection curing method would work just fine. I just like the 'corned' flavor.

Reactions: ramatack
When I corn beef or a pork butt I do a combination brine (injection + cover brine) like you are talking about.... and here is my process with AmesPhos in the method.
1. Make my brine (it has loads of aromatics) so I simmer it one day and chill overnight.
2. Add Cure #1 to the chilled brine.
3. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight, then to that I add AmesPhos at the rate of 1.8 grams/pound of meat.
4. Inject the brine from step 3 into the meat, then bag it and refrigerate for at least 10 hours (or overnight). In my mind, this gives the AmesPhos a bit of a head start, and prevents it from migrating out of the meat.
5. Next I move the meat into my brine bucket and add the remainder of the chilled brine which will cover the meat.
6. The meat now cures for 12 to 14 days, agitating by spinning the bucket daily.

Over the nest 12-14 days, I don't know if some of the AmesPhos is carried away as liquids do their typical exchange, but I'm very satisficed with the end results. If I didn't use so many aromatics in my corning brine, the daveomak daveomak injection curing method would work just fine. I just like the 'corned' flavor.
Yes! That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks so much, wil put in brine next and keep track of everything.

Yes! That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks so much, wil put in brine next and keep track of everything.
For experimentation on my next corned meat, I might try increasing the injected/pumped time to 24+ hours, then moving to the covering brine.

For many of us... injecting or flavor brining, dry brining, curing brines and dry curing are proven methods for various applications. Phosphates were something that took me a little while to experiment with. Commercially, they were in a lot of products I consume. The one product I take the exception with are 'wet' scallops which are dipped in phosphates then frozen.. They hold so much liquid, it's near impossible to skillet sear them. But, phosphates are in plenty of products we do enjoy. And using them at home is a different platform than the processors use (or restaurants, or competition BBQ cooks) to enhance their products.

For experimentation on my next corned meat, I might try increasing the injected/pumped time to 24+ hours, then moving to the covering brine.

For many of us... injecting or flavor brining, dry brining, curing brines and dry curing are proven methods for various applications. Phosphates were something that took me a little while to experiment with. Commercially, they were in a lot of products I consume. The one product I take the exception with are 'wet' scallops which are dipped in phosphates then frozen.. They hold so much liquid, it's near impossible to skillet sear them. But, phosphates are in plenty of products we do enjoy. And using them at home is a different platform than the processors use (or restaurants, or competition BBQ cooks) to enhance their products.
That's exactly what I was thinking, I thought I would inject and put on a tray or in bucket overnight then cover with brine the next day. Just glad I'm not the only one. Misery loves company so they say.lol thanks again

New here, and Canadian to make it worse! I was trying to source Sodium Tripolyphosphate, and ran into several complications(not available, or exorbitant shipping). Rather than just using up the last of my brainpower googling dead ends, I thought I would ask if anyone knew if this is available in Canada(questions on whether it is banned), or knew if there were any sources that weren't $45 for product and $175 for shipping? Or if there is a substitute food grade product that I should be looking for. TIA.

New here, and Canadian to make it worse! I was trying to source Sodium Tripolyphosphate, and ran into several complications(not available, or exorbitant shipping). Rather than just using up the last of my brainpower googling dead ends, I thought I would ask if anyone knew if this is available in Canada(questions on whether it is banned), or knew if there were any sources that weren't $45 for product and $175 for shipping? Or if there is a substitute food grade product that I should be looking for. TIA.
why couldn't I buy for you and ship to you, can't cost that much can it? It doesn't weigh that much.

why couldn't I buy for you and ship to you, can't cost that much can it? It doesn't weigh that much.
Kind of you to offer. I have continued looking through the forums and found someone with a similar issue before, and the product they found available here was called Curaid. I am going to check into that, but not until I have finished my Back Bacon project, my next Back Bacon project, found a good price on pellets, done some mods on the Bradley smoker, built a new smokehhouse, and finally tell my wife what I have been up to and how much it cost! Then I will figure out the phosphate thing when I move onto a daveomak daveomak injected ham.

There's a bit of time between now and the ham -- I say as the addiction takes hold.

I can't believe how had it is to find frozen Catfish that does not have STPP in it now. It has its place but not in Catfish! I don't like frying watered down fish.

STTP in seafood isn't the end of the world. Pellicle is your friend. Wife made fun of me at first when I used my little clip on fan but not anymore... That's popcorn topping I am frying with BTW.

20210906_182000_resized(1).jpg

For many of us... injecting or flavor brining, dry brining, curing brines and dry curing are proven methods for various applications. Phosphates were something that took me a little while to experiment with. Commercially, they were in a lot of products I consume. The one product I take the exception with are 'wet' scallops which are dipped in phosphates then frozen.. They hold so much liquid, it's near impossible to skillet sear them. But, phosphates are in plenty of products we do enjoy. And using them at home is a different platform than the processors use (or restaurants, or competition BBQ cooks) to enhance their products
Well I ended up doing it a bit different. I weighed the weight of the water/broth and meat, heated the water/broth and added 3% stpp and salt, sugars and let cool then added cure. Injected with 10% then into bath for18 days. Turned out ausome next time I'll go with 4%. I used 1 scant cup salt,1/2 cups of both sugar and brn sugar and 1oz cure, 2 boxes kitchen basics salt free vegy stock.might cut sugars and salt back a little next time. Thanks to all and especially this site, best forum by far.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky