• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Storing rubs with brown sugar

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 13, 2007
How do you all store rubs with a high level of brown sugar without it becoming lumpy? How long can I expect to store it?

I am doing a Halloween smoke this weekend with 100 lbs of ribs and I want to pre-mix the spice rub today or tomorrow before rubbing the ribs with it this Thursday/Friday? Thanks.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 23, 2010
I store mine in a ziploc bag in the freezer after squeezing out all the air. It may still get a little lumpy, but just let it thaw and squeeze it around a bit before using. It will keep for a month or two, but mine never makes it that long...

mike johnson

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 9, 2012
If it gets lumpy just remix it. It wont take but a couple of minutes. You could also mix everything but the brownsugar and add it that morning.

Last edited:

fire in the hole

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 10, 2008
It's just a thought, but how about putting a saltine cracker in the container with the rub????? I remember when I was in the service they put crackers in the sugar shaker to keep it from lumping up.

anylizer

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 27, 2012
I store my rubs in a Mason jar in the cupboard!  Sometimes it's in there for a month or 2 or 3... never had a problem with it clumping back up, and easy to shake it up and remix every time I use it!

Although it pretty dry here... that might have something to do with it!

deanoaz

Meat Mopper
Joined Aug 20, 2012
How do you all store rubs with a high level of brown sugar without it becoming lumpy? How long can I expect to store it?

I would just store it in a zip-lock and if it becomes lumpy, just put it on the counter and crush out the lumps before opening the bag and using.

Joined Dec 28, 2012
I dry my brown sugar before putting it in the rub.  Put a piece of foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread it out and let it dry for a couple of hours or if you are in a hurry pop in in the oven on the lowest setting for 10 or 15 minutes but keep an eye on it.  It might burn. Then I dump it into a ziploc bag and add the rest of my ingredients and use a cup or rolling pin to bust up the chunks.  Most of the time I mix as much as I need so I don't really have it sitting around too long.  

mvincent42

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 3, 2012
When brown sugar gets hard you can put a piece of bread with it to soften it back up. We used to do it with everything when I was a kid. Bag of tootsie rolls gets hard? Throw a piece of bread in there no problems.

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012
I dry my brown sugar before putting it in the rub.  Put a piece of foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread it out and let it dry for a couple of hours or if you are in a hurry pop in in the oven on the lowest setting for 10 or 15 minutes but keep an eye on it.  It might burn. Then I dump it into a ziploc bag and add the rest of my ingredients and use a cup or rolling pin to bust up the chunks.  Most of the time I mix as much as I need so I don't really have it sitting around too long.  
I dry mine on a cookie sheet at about 200 degrees in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (my oven is slow).  Agree to keep an eye on it.  Then when it's cool...pop it into a spice grinder (coffee bean grinder) and turn it into a powder.  Wont clump then!  I keep it in tupperware containers.  Lasts a while!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.