STORE BOUGHT RUBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Well, I ran out of my favorite pork rub, Malcolm Reed's THE BBQ RUB. I can pick some up at the local Ace Hardware but it is super high and smaller can. I always order on the internet. That being said, I would like to give something else a try this weekend on a pork butt and a pork loin roast. What is your favorite store bought pork rub? Just ordered more of Malcolm Reed's rub. Thanks

Reactions: JC in GB
I like Twisted Q Crooked Pig. I get it at my local Wally Mart... Normally I use Plowboys Yardbird rub, which I get off Amazon. This stuff is good though and people seem to like it whenever I use it.

1573139519255.png

I like the Killer Hogs products. Love the nice color they give you. I also used Slap Yo' Daddy AP BBQ and Head Country AP Rubs with great success. That said, I still feel that Jeff's Original Rub is one of the best around. I am going to be making a fresh batch of it tonight.

Reactions: Hawging It
I'm not too picky with Rubs.
I even like most of McCormick's selections.

Bear
Been using Their Montreal Steak for many, many years on all steaks. Coat them heavy with it. Let sit uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Right before you throw on the grill, baste with olive oil. It's the best steak you will eat anywhere. Tender and tasty. I will check out their other rubs.

Bear
Been using Their Montreal Steak for many, many years on all steaks. Coat them heavy with it. Let sit uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Right before you throw on the grill, baste with olive oil. It's the best steak you will eat anywhere. Tender and tasty. I will check out their other rubs.

Bear
Been using Their Montreal Steak for many, many years on all steaks. Coat them heavy with it. Let sit uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Right before you throw on the grill, baste with olive oil. It's the best steak you will eat anywhere. Tender and tasty. I will check out their other rubs. Thanks

Not really into store bought stuff. Usually too salty and I like salt. I have use Jeff's (make from recipe) and like it but tweaked it. Honestly, the recipe itself helped me learn much about how to build my own. Must have IMO. The sauce is totally pro too. I brine or inject so for the most part can do away with a rub.

thank you for this thread! I have been pondering some store bought rubs a while. following this discussion for options.

Not really into store bought stuff. Usually too salty and I like salt. I have use Jeff's (make from recipe) and like it but tweaked it. Honestly, the recipe itself helped me learn much about how to build my own. Must have IMO. The sauce is totally pro too. I brine or inject so for the most part can do away with a rub.
Thanks. Might to make my own based of Jeff's

I make my own to keep the salt down. I use Amazing Ribs Memphis Dust recipe.

I also have to make my own salt free rubs due to health issues. The last year has been a journey, but has been rewarding at the same time. I also make low salt BBQ sauce, and low salt marinades. With all of the herbs and spices I do not even miss the salt.

I used Jeff's recipes and Chef JJs recipes as a base and modified them. I also have gleaned different tidbits from other peoples recipes on the forums.

My BBQ sauces have about 3gms of salt for 5 cups of BBQ sauce. And I can inject and marinate 25 lbs for meat with about 3 gms of salt. It has been a learning experience.

I made my first no salt hot sauce last week to replace Franks. I have got some work, This batch was hot but minimal flavor. I will change to slightly cooler and more flavorful peppers next time, and will roast them first.

I have smoke for a number of years, but the last year has been enjoyable to learn how to make a lot of things from scratch.

Im a big an of Butcher's BBQ rubs. they are from Dave Bouska been on pit masters show and won several times. has a good line of different flavors. his savory pecan takes like pecan pie in a rub great on ribs! google it!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Weber Garlic and Herb for chicken, SPOG for beef and pork. I only add sugar when I foil. I've used Stumps before and it's good - I just never remember to replenish the stock.

Chris

Don't laugh - but we LOVE Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Salmon Seasoning on our pork loin (and salmon). It is savory with a touch of sweet. Season the heck out of it too...there doesn't seem to be a "too much" level with this.

5110pUMVhvL._SY445_.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky