Store bought canned tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
1613409847444.png

Since I'm about out of my home canned tomatoes, I'm going to have to resort to other sources. Does anyone use the San Marzano canned tomatoes? If so, are they worth the premium price and can you really taste the difference? What would you use them in?

I've never tried them and was just wondering what the SMF collective thinks.

I think there are some members here that use the San marzanos grown in California. As good or better quality but less spendy. I'm sure they will chime in if they see this. I've grown my own but wasn't happy with the quality Maybe too cold climate here on the prairies.

I think there are some members here that use the San marzanos grown in California. As good or better quality but less spendy. I'm sure they will chime in if they see this. I've grown my own but wasn't happy with the quality Maybe too cold climate here on the prairies.

So the ones I've seen that are grown stateside are labeled San Marzano Style tomatoes. Are they the same? To call them San Marzano, do they have to be grown in Italy?
1613415918730.png
1613415933138.png

Reactions: Hamdrew
Like other have said - yes. those absolutely are the best canned tomatoes. I get what they have...they dont always have one brand here...

To reduce costs, I generally buy all of my canned tomatoes in 6lb #10 cans regardless of type or style and place the remainder into glass mason jars with twist off lids. There is ~ 3 qt. of tomatoes per can with salted juice. I can add more tomatoes to my recipe & find uses for the leftovers. 🍻

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
To reduce costs, I generally buy all of my canned tomatoes in 6lb #10 cans regardless of type or style and place the remainder into glass mason jars with twist off lids. There is ~ 3 qt. of tomatoes per can with salted juice. I can add more tomatoes to my recipe & find uses for the leftovers. 🍻
I never seem to have any problems using tomatoes. That's why I'm about out of my own canned ones...

Reactions: Wurstmeister
I made chili a while ago and the recipe called for these by name. I thought they were very good and have used them since.
$1.35 at my local Walmart.
View attachment 485104
Heck, that's a lot better price than the $3.24/can for the same size Cento San Marzano at my local Walmart. There again, I've noticed that those tomatoes grown/canned here in the USA are labeled Italian Style. Interesting.....

I made chili a while ago and the recipe called for these by name. I thought they were very good and have used them since.
View attachment 485104
Well after a quick search using Brickseek, only style sold locally are crushed and pureed, both with basil and out of stock anywhere nearby.....:emoji_disappointed:

I live outside Sacramento, CA. Since it is so close to the HUGE tomato growing region in Central CA, it had the nickname SacOtomatoes, but I haven't heard anyone call it that in a while.

I've tried a lot of varieties of canned tomatoes, including the San Marzanos. The taste difference wasn't worth the price to me. My wife is a super taster and could not tell the difference

I believe it was ChefJJ who recently posted that most of the San Marzanos canned in Italy are actually grown in CA's Central Valley. Consequently, my location may have an influence on the generic canned tomatoes. They're the same dang thing!

I just started using Canned Tomatoes since this Pandemic started.
I found the "San Marzano" to be the best, but for me it's more important to get the ones that are low in Sodium than the Name Brand.
I've used them on Burgers & on BLTs.
Here are some BLTs I made with them:
blts-with-canned-tomatoes-experiment.300627

BTW: I get them from Walmart's Web Site.
Free Delivery, if you get over $35 worth of products.

Bear

View attachment 485104
Tuttorosso is a Red Gold brand. They also make their own brand along with many other house brand labels. They are located about 20 miles from me and they have a factory outlet store where they sell case quantities of all their tomato products for cheap money. We make at least a couple of trips every year.

I believe it was ChefJJ who recently posted that most of the San Marzanos canned in Italy are actually grown in CA's Central Valley

That was Forktender, post #22, in the thread linked below.
The other two links discuss CentoCertified being Ligit...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky