Storage Options - Smoking Wood - Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sal Barsanti

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Webberville, MI
Just wondering how folks store their smoking wood? I have a decent about of chopped cherry wood (all dry) in my garage and now have even more split oak that needs to dry. I have the wood in the tall leaf bags (paper) and some cardboard boxes.

Just wondering how everyone stores their wood chunks? Up high on shelves? In boxes or bags? Mesh/wire fencing baskets?

I'll be bringing down an apple tree soon and really want to figure out a good way to store this wood. I'll have a lot and want to keep it clean, dry and separated.

Oak
375189-91ad9905f171760f0dc63387dddd0198.jpg

Oak
375190-2e254cf8632625f31f74d927a570b19b.jpg

Cherry
375191-4c8ef444f92fd071f7d1e17a72b3d8d9.jpg

Thanks much.

Last edited:
Ha I keep my wood in the bags that I bought from the store. There aren’t any trees around me to fell. I find that Walmart and Home Depot give me all the choices that I need. I’ve been thinking of getting some plastic drawers to put out by my smoker. I think it would be handy for my purpose.

George

I was wondering about large plastic totes. But, what about air flow? Would that be a concern? We need to keep the wood dry, right? But that would be a good way to do it. I could stack plastic totes or put them up on a shelf.

Reactions: js0813
I have a VERY dry basement and store my wood there on a simple frame of 2x3 boards and a wire wrack that pirated from my wife. Moisture content reads 8% on my meter.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: Sal Barsanti
i have cut most of my smoking into chunks, similar to what you buy in the bags at the hardware store. I like this setup, but might need to do totes.

I keep mine in totes outside under a covered patio . No holes it the totes . I don't want bugs in there . Chumks were dried first .

Thanks for the comments Copsaw.

I am getting a new shed delivered in a couple weeks. I could keep my wood chunks in totes in the shed, I guess. Either that or the garage.

How long do you keep wood? A year or two? Longer?

I cut down a hickory tree 2 years ago for fire wood . Cut some into chunks . Still have some .

I keep mine in the plastic totes, but I used a hole saw and cut 3 holes on each end and 5 on each side.

Same idea here...I usually use sticks/split logs, but got a bunch of hickory and cherry in milk crates to dry and season.

I have a large wood pile outside with a tarp over it. I need to split it up better so after splitting I'm going to transfer to a log rack I bought on Amazon.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I use pressure treated 2x4's and make racks 6' tall and 8' long and about 1' wide. Top logs keep the rain off the pile or you can tarp it.

I store my house firewood under the deck in the same racks. I added metal roof to the bottom of the joist as it drains away from the house. I added gutter to catch the rain and run it away from the wood. Perfect dry storage.

Last edited:
So you keep your smoking wood in firewood length, right? I've been cutting mine into chunks. So I have been viewing this as crates, tubs, wire mesh, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just found this thread and I was interested. Any of y’all that keep your splits in plastic totes with the holes cut in them, did you have problems with termites being attracted to them? I wanted to do the same but didn’t want to unnecessarily attract termites that close to my house.

Just found this thread and I was interested. Any of y’all that keep your splits in plastic totes with the holes cut in them, did you have problems with termites being attracted to them? I wanted to do the same but didn’t want to unnecessarily attract termites that close to my house.

I have my wood chunks in paper leaf bags. I have thought about moving some of it to plastic totes, but haven't done it.

I have a couple leaf bags full of oak, cherry, red apple and yellow apple. Probably a little too much for my use. Not sure how many years I can keep the wood dry, clean, free of issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky