Stopped smoking at 165

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zizo79

Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
Ran my smoker at 215 regress. 7lbs brisket. Internal temps went up to 165 degrees. Turned off the smoker for 2 hours (had to leave). Temps drop to 95 degrees. Can I still smoke it or toss it? Cheers

I"m not so convinced. Sounds like the surface spent 2 hours at a temp over refrigerator temps but <95F. If you now recook to >190 throughout, and eat or refrigerate quickly, all bacteria may be dead, but the meat may have been irretrievably ruined. I'd keep cooking, but be very wary of the first taste. If it's funny at all, I'd pass.

bill1 bill1 Ruined by what? Just curious...JJ
It was up to 2 hours in the danger zone so meat spoilage seems to be a possibility. Granted the meat was largely cooked at the start of that 2 hours, and one should worry more of spoilage of raw meat than cooked meat, but even cooked meat shouldn't sit out for 2 hours...although I suppose that's what buffet meals do regularly. :emoji_wink: Perhaps I overreacted?

Reactions: chef jimmyj
By FDA Food Code Cooked food, ready to eat, can be on a serving line, with or without heat, up to 4 hours exposed to air. Yes, like a Buffet or Sandwiches in Grab and Go displays. In the above situation, the meat was in a Closed Smoker. It would take some pretty Determined Bacteria to get in that Hot Smoker, even after 2 hours still 95, on to the likely even Hotter Meat, on the dry Salty Surface and multiply to any dangerous level. Its just not that likely. Bacteria need Perfect growing conditions, raw Chicken at room temp, to grow rapidly. And even with raw chicken Food Code allows 2 hours at room temp to prep.
Kudos as you are thinking along the right track...JJ

By FDA Food Code Cooked food, ready to eat, can be on a serving line, with or without heat, up to 4 hours exposed to air..... In the above situation, the meat was in a Closed Smoker...
Very good point about a closed smoker being better than out in the fresh air.
And the 4-hr rule for cooked food was news to me and is totally consistent with everyday experience.
Yes, I over-reacted...thanks for talking some sense into me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky