Staying 150* ahead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbilly jim

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
Floyd, VA
I've been doing a bit of experimenting with controlling the cabinet temp in my Masterbuilt 44 gasser. The purpose of my experimenting is to find the optimum temp for what I'm cooking as the cook progresses. I've done a few butts and my plan seems to work out for me.

Let's say the IT of the butt is 50* when I'm ready to put it in the smoker. I get the cabinet temp balanced to 200* and put the butt in. When the butt IT reaches 100*, I bump the cabinet temp up to 250*, 150* ahead of the butt IT. When the butt IT reaches 150*, I bump the cabinet temp up to 300. At that point, I leave the cabinet temp alone as my target IT is 200. When the butt IT reaches 200, I pull it.

This method seems to be working well for me. It takes a little longer as the cabinet temp starts out a little lower, but it seems as if the butt is cooking well. The last two I've done like this came out really nice.

My wife said they were perfectly done. And when Momma's happy, everybody's happy!

Any thoughts or opinions on this method?

If it works for you, then that's the best method! I usually just set mine at 300° from the start and let it ride. I can start the process after breakfast and have it ready in time for dinner. But that's me. Stick with what works for you and you'll never go wrong.

Sounds like that's working good for you, Jim!! 

Cool Method.

I usually use 230° on my Butts, so they have time to get lots of smoke on them.

If I'm in more of a hurry, I'll use 260°.

My MES goes to a Max of 275°, but I rarely smoke at 275°.

My Ram speedometer goes to 120, but I rarely drive at 120.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Bear

Well what ever works for you.

With my Lang, I just let it ride at whatever temp it wants to settle in at.

Lately that's been between 250-270. I just keep feeding it sticks & it stays right there.

Al

Your method has the advantages of both Low and Slow and Hot and Fast. Start low for lots of smoke. Bumping the heat pushes thru the stall and cuts the cook time some. Not a bad plan...
icon14.gif
...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky