St. Louis tell me this isn't true

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

culpepersmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2010
Split between Michigan and Texas
I started a new job with a company based out of St. Louis and while there for training I chatted with a new coworker about hobbies etc. Obviously I talked about smoking. He told me there was an article in the local paper about a group of folks who died from eating smoked meat. Apparently ( according to my new coworker) they used a railroad tie as the wood for the BBQ?
Please restore my faith in peoples common sense and tell me this isn't true :eek:

I would have to say that I think its defiantly possible. At work, with every load of poles we buy comes a material data sheet. Next load I will bring it home and scan it, I could be wrong but I believe that the treatment of the poles and ties is done with unrefined PCP.

Its kinda scary what we live with everyday.

And Yes you would hope that no one would use a pole or rail road tie as a heat source. But who knows.

I hope that they did not do that because the ties are treated with a chemical that is toxic for sure and could cause some serious health issues for sure

The smoke alone coming off of burning ties will make you sick....
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

Railroad ties are soaked in creosote (of all things lol)
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif
  to help them last longer in the weather. Hard to believe anyone could be that foolish but then again....

A quick trip thru Snopes,google and Bing show no record of this event.\

"St Louis folks who died from eating smoked meat".

I find that hard to beleive. I realize there are some idiots out there, but the smell of the burning creosote alone would have to be plain nasty. Not to mention the taste it would impart. There are people who use those railroad ties in their vegetable garden which is a big no-no. That creosote will leach in to the ground.

Thats what I'm sayin, you would have to be Forrest Gump stupid.

I find that hard to beleive. I realize there are some idiots out there, but the smell of the burning creosote alone would have to be plain nasty. Not to mention the taste it would impart. There are people who use those railroad ties in their vegetable garden which is a big no-no. That creosote will leach in to the ground.

icon_cool.gif

In the great words of a fine man Ron White " You Can't Fix Stupid"

We could have an urban legend.  We could have just plain stupid.  We could also have another vegetarian wacko out to bash smoked meat or just meat in general.  What next?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky