Porkapalooza - St. Louis Style Ribs and some experimenting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Here is a link to the post, covering the overall smoke and the details on the Pork Loins

While at Costco I picked up one of the crayo packed set of 3 St. Louis Style Ribs. I had planned to do some experiment with a few different methods, including Al's membrane on method.

Because I am using a MES30, I have to do half racks, but that isn't any problem as that gave me the opportunity to experiment on each half rack.

Let me first say this was the first and last 3 pack of ribs I will be buying from Costco. Once rub was applied, one of the racks you couldn't even tell bone side up or done. Someone needs to tell them that just because the rack is flat and square does not mean it is St. Louis trimmed. I have been disappoint with the Ribs available all winter here in So FL and have decided that I need to learn to do my own St. Louis trimming to spare ribs in the future.

My next complaint with them came when trying to pull the membrane, which was near impossible. It just would not hold together enough to pull, paper towel and other tricks did not help.

Good news park of my plan was to test Al's method, so I didn't need to pull the membrane on all of them. The funny thing is during this smoke, I started thinking about my progression as a smoker. And ribs were one of the first things I ever smoked, about 8-10 years ago, and everyone loved them. And I was in Mississippi at the time, believe me those good ole boys will tell you if your ribs suck! Back then I didn't know "any better" and didn't pull the membrane. It's only in the last 2 years that I have gotten serious with smoke again, and decided being Fulltime in an RV wasn't going to keep me from smoking, that I "learned" that you should pull the membrane. And my failing memory now says my ribs have never been as good as the ones I was making back in Mississippi. Funny it took Al's post and this test to bring that info together in my mind.

Before we get into each 1/2 racks details, I should say this isn't a 100% fair test because of the quality of the ribs, and the moisture issues at the beginning of the smoke (see the main thread), but I did my best to at least get to the point of deciding my preferred method.

One earth shattering change to my rib method, that I accidentally discovered with this smoke is I used pineapple juice in my foil instead of apple. I needed some pineapple juice for the Mojo Loin, and I couldn't find small containers, so I had to buy a 2 QT container. Being a cheap SOB, I decided why buy apple juice for the ribs as well, so I used the pineapple juice and these ribs have an unbelievable back tone of sweetness. So I have buried this tidbit deep in this post to reward those that made it this far :-)

All ribs were rubbed with mustard and my "Sweet Heat" rub, I think I have just about perfected my rub recipe.

Anyway I have subjected you to enough ramblings, here are the ribs, all ready for the smoker. You can see my fancy coding system to tell them apart based on the number of tooth picks in them.
rib1.jpg
If you are wondering where the other half rack went, it is in the fridge with some tender quick and will be come Bacon on a Stick this weekend, following another one of Bears step by steps.

Rack 1 - Al's Way
============================
This wasn't fully Al's way. I can't bring my self to sauce a rib :-), and I had to adjust times a bit because of the initial moisture issues.
1. Smoked 3 hours Bone down
2. 1 1/2 Hours in foil, meat down. Brown Sugar, Butter, Rub on foil, 1/4 cup pineapple on bones
3. Here's where I had to deviate a bit from Al's method, when I pulled from foil they were not "done", although I was close to his IT (165) they hadn't moved much (180) so I put them in the smoker "naked" for about 30 minutes. probably sound have left in foil instead.
4. Then seared on piping hot grill for less than a minute a side. with a sprinkle of rub on the meat side.
rib2.jpg rib3.jpg

The results: I would call this close to a competition pull, It felt a touch dry (meaning not juicey, but not dried out). As mentioned above the pineapple combined with my Sweet Heat gave it a great Sweet back tone.

Rack 2 - Basic 3-2-1
=====================
1. Membrane "sort of removed"
2. 3 Hours bone down
2. Foil 2 Hours meat down, Sugar, Butter, Rub, Honey on bottom, pineapple juice on top
3. 1 hour bone down in smoker
4. Seared less than a minute a side on grill with sprinkle of rub on meat side

rib4.jpg
Less pull than Rack #1 but still no where near Fall off the bone. Just a touch juicer than Rack #1

Rack 3 - Naked
=======================
1. Membrane on
2. Smoked bone down, whole way, no spritzing. Lord know I didn't need moisture!
3. I started testing using the Bend method at the 5 hour mark.
4. Pulled at 7 HOUR mark! I think this was do to all the moisture at the beginning, and door opening to much for all the other items.
rib5.jpg rib6.jpg
These were super tender, maybe just a touch less pull than Rack #2, it looks and feels dry but taste great, just not juicy.

Rack 4 - Foil all the way to 203
===============================
1. Membrane off
2. Smoke bone down for 3 hours
3. In foil with Sugar, Butter, Rub, Honey on bottom, pineapple juice on top
4. Used my needle probe from thermoworks and left in foil until they hit 203
5. Sear less than a minute on each side on grill with a sprinkle of rub on the meat.
rib7.jpg
The plan for this rack was to do a "McRib" missiong accomplished. Definitely fall off the bone, I had to be real careful searing it. Surprisingly not quite as tender as the Naked, but it was the sweetest tasting of all the racks, I am guessing from all that time steaming in the pineapple. It will make a great McRib Sandwich.

Rack 5 was nothing special to report, it had to wait for the loins before going in. It was suppose to be an Al method except for membrane off, but at that point I had already decided it didn't matter and did that last on as basic 3-2-1

And the Final Results
=====================
The membrane - while doing all the tasting I couldn't find any difference between on and off as far as smoke flavor or membrane remaining. I might do the test again sometime with some fresh quality racks, but I think I am back in the membrane on camp.

My true test of any pork is did I get any stuck in my teeth, I call it my toothpick test. After testing one rib from each of these 1/2 racks, I had nothing stuck in my teeth so they all passed my test of what a cooked piece of pork should be like.

Now for the true final results. 1 to 3 Ranking

Me:
1. Naked. I loved how tender it was, prettiest bark, wish it had a touch of juicey
2. Basic 3-2-1 - Not as pretty, but it's juicier.
3. Foil All the way - I see its purpose and if I sauced it and made McRib it would be my preferred method.

Momma:
1. Foil All the way
2. Basic 3-2-1
3. Naked

And that about sums up our Marriage and food taste :-) I think Donnie and Marie wrote a song about us. "I am a whole lot spicy, she likes it bland" or something like that :-0

So I think the moral of the story is I will work on those 3 technique with some quality racks, but probably not waste my time on that pesky membrane.

Reactions: tallbm and SmokinAl
All of your ribs look pretty darn good to me.
Since your in Florida try buying ribs from Publix.
You can get fresh, never frozen, or frozen.
As a matter of fact the STL's are on sale this week for $2.49 frozen.
I bought 5 racks there last month when they were on sale for $1.99 frozen.
They are very good quality ribs!
Look for racks that are at least 3# each.
Al

All of your ribs look pretty darn good to me.
Since your in Florida try buying ribs from Publix.
Al
The last ribs I did were from Publix, and definitely better than the Costco 3 pack, but still not great. Buying meat in South Florida just sucks period! As much as I like it down here, I look forward to our migration north when it comes to price and quality of meat available.

I don't think I will be doing any more ribs before our trip north. According to the Boss, I need to get some roast beef and TWO twice smoked hams done. Damn you Bear for getting her hooked on those hams :-) And I still need to do our snack sticks before the migration as well. The little MES will get a good workout during March.

Good looking ribs!

Don't take my word on this BUT I think Costco removes the membrane on their pork ribs.
I have found it hard to remove membrane from Costco ribs when I tried in the past and it is like there isn't much to grab UNTIL you get down to one of the small ends or odd sized ends where I think they don't put much care in removing that membrane so some real membrane is still left.

Costco also skins their Salmon too which is good if you are doing Salmon Lox but bad if you want to grill Salmon and have that wonderful crispy skin I call "Salmon Bacon" :(

I always try to pick the heaviest and meatiest looking top rib rack and meatiest side view of meat on Costco 3 packs of ribs and it usually works out well. I have noticed that their baby backs are usually quite meaty and usually come from the same whole rack so if you score well on a good looking meaty top rack you usually will score well on 2 of the 3 if not all 3 racks in the pack.

I hope this info helps :)

That is some interesting info tallbm, maybe the membrane I was trying to remove as just normal connective tissue. I will have to compare at sometime and see.

Haven't bought salmon yet from them, I got a good smoke salmon I do but its mainly for our Boy's I am not a big fan of Salmon, so unless they are around I don't do any.

I don't do Baby Backs, I guess growing up in Missouri I just got use to nice flat square racks, that are fairly lean.

That is some interesting info tallbm, maybe the membrane I was trying to remove as just normal connective tissue. I will have to compare at sometime and see.

Haven't bought salmon yet from them, I got a good smoke salmon I do but its mainly for our Boy's I am not a big fan of Salmon, so unless they are around I don't do any.

I don't do Baby Backs, I guess growing up in Missouri I just got use to nice flat square racks, that are fairly lean.

I tried and tried to pull membrane off the pork ribs. I went as far as getting a butter knife to scrape on the bones and such and not much comes off so I think it is just the left over connective tissue and not the membrane lol.

Costco doesn't see to skimp on meaty baby backs. I have found they have much more meat then their spares/St. Louis and I find I like the flavor of baby backs better.

I did a comparison where I did CSR, St. Loius/spares, and Baby Backs and again compaired St Louis and Baby Backs and I just think the babys beat the other ones as my favorite. Though all are very good the flavor is a bit different and I think the fat to meat ratio meatier for the babys and just makes them tastier where the St. Louis and regular spares have a higher fat to meat ratio so there isn't as much meat to utilize all of the fatty goodness.

Kind of like how a well marbled steak is better tasting than a lean steak or a fatty cut of beef cooked like a steak (think chuck steak). This is the best I have come up with lol.

Tallbm you have convinced me to give Baby backs a try. Growing up the only Baby backs I ever had were the fatty, boiled in sauce, fall of the bone, commercial style baby backs, so I have never really considered them. I think for my next ribs I will try to find some nice meaty baby backs and give them a try.

Tallbm you have convinced me to give Baby backs a try. Growing up the only Baby backs I ever had were the fatty, boiled in sauce, fall of the bone, commercial style baby backs, so I have never really considered them. I think for my next ribs I will try to find some nice meaty baby backs and give them a try.

Be sure and let us know how it turns out.
There are many guys who like spare/St. Louis over baby backs so you may still lean that way. Anyway it goes I bet you eat well and have no complaints. Here are my babybacks vs St Louis style where I trimmed spares to be St. Loius in this case. It will give you a visual as to what I am eating :)

Baby backs:

St. Louis below:

Those look great, and I see you are a fan of the same fine china as me !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky