1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

St. Louis tell me this isn't true

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by culpepersmoke, Dec 6, 2010.

1. I started a new job with a company based out of St. Louis and while there for training I chatted with a new coworker about hobbies etc. Obviously I talked about smoking. He told me there was an article in the local paper about a group of folks who died from eating smoked meat. Apparently ( according to my new coworker) they used a railroad tie as the wood for the BBQ?
    Please restore my faith in peoples common sense and tell me this isn't true :eek:

2. That sounds idiotic and gross, but death sounds like a stretch. Who knows though? I suppose stranger things have happened.

3. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would have to say that I think its defiantly possible. At work, with every load of poles we buy comes a material data sheet. Next load I will bring it home and scan it, I could be wrong but I believe that the treatment of the poles and ties is done with unrefined PCP.

Its kinda scary what we live with everyday.

And Yes you would hope that no one would use a pole or rail road tie as a heat source. But who knows.

4. I searched the STL Post Dispatch but couldn't find anything. I tried a bunch of different search words but came up empty.

5. scarbelly

scarbelly Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member

I hope that they did not do that because the ties are treated with a chemical that is toxic for sure and could cause some serious health issues for sure

6. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The smoke alone coming off of burning ties will make you sick.... [​IMG]

7. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

I think sometimes the world is 90 percent Idiots and 10 percent sensible people. Bet them ties burnt good though.[​IMG]

8. placebo

placebo Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Railroad ties are soaked in creosote (of all things lol)[​IMG]   to help them last longer in the weather. Hard to believe anyone could be that foolish but then again....

9. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    A quick trip thru Snopes,google and Bing show no record of this event.\

"St Louis folks who died from eating smoked meat".

10. I'm thinkin urban legend.

11. nwdave

nwdave Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Well, it does serve as a good object lesson to all smokers of meat and other delectables, if you don't know the wood is safe to use, ASK here.

12. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I find that hard to beleive. I realize there are some idiots out there, but the smell of the burning creosote alone would have to be plain nasty. Not to mention the taste it would impart. There are people who use those railroad ties in their vegetable garden which is a big no-no. That creosote will leach in to the ground.

13. Thats what I'm sayin, you would have to be Forrest Gump stupid.

14. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

I think that Forest Gump was infanitly smarter than that! [​IMG]

15. stupid is as stupid does

16. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

In the great words of a fine man Ron White " You Can't Fix Stupid"

17. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

We could have an urban legend.  We could have just plain stupid.  We could also have another vegetarian wacko out to bash smoked meat or just meat in general.  What next?

18. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

True or not ya can't fix stupid!