St Louis Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Centinel

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
South Carolina
Second attempt at trimming then smoking St Louis spares. Mustard on the racks, then my own rub. Trimmings went in to a disposable pan with more rub. 225 with apple wood on the AMNPS in my MES 40.

IMG-0207.jpg

Standard 3-2-1. Spritzed with apple cider vinegar and apple juice on the hour. Pulled at hour three, foiled with apple juice. Out of the foil and sauced, then back in for another hour.

Results:

IMG-0208.jpg

Well that looks outstanding! I have a choice between loin backs and spares where I shop. I’m gonna go for the spares next time.

Nice color and pull back on those ribs - very visually appealing. Bet they tasted as good as they look.

Point for sure.

Chris

did they have some tear to them? looking to do the same exact setup for 6-8 racks on Saturday, but I don't want them falling off the bone.

I've always found that the 3-2-1 method for spareribs or St Louis cut end up in a great texture. As long as you take them out of the foil and get them on that heat again for that last hour. The meat will separate from the bone without a problem but it just doesn't fall off the bone. My ribs always have just a bit of chew that I think is essential to great ribs. I don't use a lot of apple juice when I foil but enough to just give the steam a chance to do a bit of tenderizing. I also think that it makes a difference to do bone side down for the first phase then meat side down when they are in the foil followed by the bone side down to finish. Good luck with your cook.

George

thanks! I've done 3-2-1 before and also just straight up 6 hours of smoke. both were good in their own ways, but it's been awhile.

did they have some tear to them? looking to do the same exact setup for 6-8 racks on Saturday, but I don't want them falling off the bone.

Ya, they definitely weren't fall of the bone. Good bite to them, but came away clean from the bone.

I've found that the 3-2-1 is perfect for spares, but when I use the same for loin or baby backs they end up fall off the bone.

Thanks for all the points folks!

Spares on my smoker take an hour longer than baby backs if you don't like fall off the bone try cutting down initial 3 hr smoke to 21/2 hrs and same foiled.I only sauce my ribs long enough to set the sauce w/some carmelization

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky