St. Louis Spares and a 4.5LB Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Time to let the smoke roll. I just threw a rack of St. Louis spare ribs and small 4.5lb pork but on the Pit Boss 1100.

I'm happy enough with how my pork butts come out, butt I've not been satisfied with my rib game lately. They keep coming out fall off the bone when what I want is bite through, and I'm not getting the color I want. I don't want them overly dark, I'm really looking for that deep mahogany red competition look.

Previously, I was using olive oil for the binder, and the rub was brown sugar, course ground salt and pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. This time I switched to yellow mustard for the binder, and simplified the rub to just turbinado sugar, course ground salt and pepper, garlic powder, and regular paprika.

I've tried the 3, 2, 1 method and the 2, 2, 1 method with brown sugar, squeze butter, honey and i little apple juice in the foil wrap (ribs face down), but they came out over done and fall off the bone which I am trying to avoid. This time I think I will try 3,1,1 with just turbinado sugar and honey in the foil, no butter and no apple juice. We shall see how they turn out.

Also, I am using my Pitt Boss 1100 at 250 (I usually do 225 but trying something different) with Lumber Jack Char Hickory pellets in the hopper and the AMazeN tray.

As far as method, 3,2,1, 3,1,1 etc. or what's in the foil, I'm totally open to suggestions. I just want that competition mahogany color and bite through, not fall off. Whatever is going to get me there.

The butt will be taken to 165, then put in a foil pan with apple juice and covered with heavy duty foil.

Pork butt rubbed & ready.jpg
Ribs rubbed & ready.jpg
Ribs and a Butt on the Boss.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
As far as method, 3,2,1, 3,1,1 etc. or what's in the foil, I'm totally open to suggestions. I just want that competition mahogany color and bite through, not fall off. Whatever is going to get me there.
Have you tried putting more rub on the ribs right after unwrapping them?

Try not wrapping the ribs. More time = more color. Plus you don't get the braising of foil which is the main cause of over cooked ribs.

Adding a couple of chunks of cherry wood to the mix will give you that dark rich color or in your case mixing in some cherry pellets will also do it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky