St Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KHert

Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
as a newbie we went to our local BBQ store, Meadow Creek in New Holland PA, and just started looking for rubs and sauces and just get some ideas. While we were looking around a very nice gentleman helped us out and told us what he does with his ribs. Unfortunately in my embarrassment as a newbie I never asked him his name.

Anyway, he pointed us to a few rubs that he likes and then gave us his cooking recipe. We are cooking on a Camp Chef pellet Grill. My fear is that I forgot one of his directions.

as I remember he said:
Cook at 275
After 1 hour, spray with blue bottle butter
After 2 hour wrap in foil with a mixture
After 3 hour they are finished. Test by IT at 195 or when you pick up from the center the ends do NOT lift up.

I am a little worried I missed something after the foil. So my question is, does the above sound okay for very tasty ribs?

Thank you for the help and if that kind gentleman reads this, thanks again for the help and sorry I didn’t get your name.

Kevin Hertzog

I'm a St. Louis snob, they are my favorites and I'll tell ya how I do them.

No need to remove the membrane, it'll basically cook off and it helps hold the racks together and retain more moisture.

Rub them with whatever ya like, no boundaries.

Fire up your grill, 225°-275°, anywhere in that range is good.
I like cherry, apple, hickory and oak for smoke, and often mix woods.

Cook bones down the whole time.

I sometimes spritz or mop, but not always.
I don't wrap, no 321, 311, 221 or anything like that, just bide my time and let'em cook.
I don't glaze unless by special request.
Average time is right about six hours give or take.

I go by the Pop, Bend and Crack test for doneness.
When I see the bones have popped out the end of the meat, and the meat has settled between the bones showing an undulating appearance like corrugated metal siding.
Then I pick the rack up with tongs and if it bends easily and the bark cracks I know they're ready to go.
Generally this method yields me a perfect Light Tug bite.

I've got a rack sitting in the fridge as I type. I normally foil ribs because we like FOTB, but for this rack I'm gonna let her ride naked as a jaybird. Just a sprinkle of SPOG. They will be glazed at the end for the wife. The kettle will be set for 250ish.

Chris

Well gave it a shot today and it turned out pretty darn good. They were a little over cooked, but lesson learned and in the end they still tasted very good for our first time.

Used 3 different rubs, cooked for 2 hours at 275, then wrapped and cooked 1 more hour.

They were good and no need for saucing it.

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

Kevin

Attachments

• 49CF71A9-9C69-4913-A2CC-9EF978062C06.jpeg
    49CF71A9-9C69-4913-A2CC-9EF978062C06.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: drdon
So a question I forgot to ask above. There was a cartilage running across the back of the ribs. Is this something I should have trimmed off before making? Again, they were St. Louis Ribs.

Thanks for the help

Kevin

Them racks are looking good, nice color.

But overcooked, really?
If anything, to me they look like they might be needing a little more time, at least the top rack. Top rack looks like it could use more time.
They just don't look done to me.

Was the meat perhaps a little tough and/or dry?
Or did the bones slide right out, or perhaps have a nice wiggle to them as with Fall Off the Bone or close to it?

275° is Hot-n-Fast, but 2-1 is pretty freaking fast for St. Louis.
Did you by chance use a digital probe therm for IT?

The bones did come out very easy. I used a digital probe and the temp was 205 on both sets of ribs. Should I have done something different?

We thought they were pretty good. I should not have used the words over cooked, the IT was a bit higher than what I had read they should be. I thought 195 was the temp we wanted.

But we very much enjoyed them.

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

The bones did come out very easy. I used a digital probe and the temp was 205 on both sets of ribs. Should I have done something different?

We thought they were pretty good. I should not have used the words over cooked, the IT was a bit higher than what I had read they should be. I thought 195 was the temp we wanted.

But we very much enjoyed them.

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin
Naw, you did good.

The pics are deceiving me.
Probably because of the wrap, I don't wrap so they look different to me.
195° is an IT a lot of folks shoot for.
205° would be well done/over done.

That cartilage is normal, no need to trim further.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the help.

Time to try something else. Chicken Quarters and Ribs done...what next????

Kevin

Would like to try some wings. Need to find a good recipe for them.

I am excited to do a butt, but need a good weekend day and a good recipe to get that accomplished.

Having fun and enjoy learning from all you great people.

Kevin

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky