1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured St. Louis Pork Ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bacon_crazy510, Nov 27, 2018.

1. bacon_crazy510

bacon_crazy510 Fire Starter

I've been switching back and forth between straight smoke cooking and the 3-2-1 method cooking ribs. I like them both ways, but to me, cooking them without wrapping in foil give me the best results. Some people like the "falling off the bone" result of the 3-2-1; I like the "bite" from straight smoking. And to me? They are still falling off the bone, just not "sloppy" falling off the bone.

Ribs smoked for 7 hours over hickory, rubbed with Meat Church "Honey Hog". (My "go-to" rub)
    thumbnail-1.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

2. 5GRILLZNTN

5GRILLZNTN Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looking nice!

bacon_crazy510 likes this.
  3. WaterRat

WaterRat Meat Mopper

Looks good! :emoji_thumbsup: What temp are you running? I need to do some ribs, it's been a while and I have a couple racks in the freezer...

4. Those look good to me. I normally don't wrap mine either besides the occasional experiment or if I need to transport them.

5. texomakid

texomakid Meat Mopper

Very nice looking ribs. Did you mop them with anything or is that just the rub?

6. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

My way also. Do you pull the membrane?
    Awesome looking ribs.

Warren

7. Great looking Rib's !!! Myself I love texture and the color from not wrapping also they do come out really moist, but the downfall most of my friends like them falling off the bone and dripping with BBQ sauce ewww. Here's a photo without wrapping and no BBQ sauce 100% smoke and rub only just the way I like them :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  8. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

Nice color and pull back on those ribs. I bet they were tasty.

Point for sure
    Chris

9. SmokinLogs

SmokinLogs Smoking Fanatic

Those ribs look tasty. Good job. I know what you mean on the cooking different ways. I feel like every time I cook them a little different. Sometimes I like them a certain way, and other times I’m just still searching for the perfect outcome from experimenting. They are all good though. Never disappointed. Yours look fantastic!

10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I agree with you that bite off the bone is better! Nice ribs!

chilerelleno and bacon_crazy510 like this.
  11. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those are some mighty fine looking there, ribs my friend!
    Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!!!
    Al

JC in GB and bacon_crazy510 like this.
  12. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wooohoo! Congrats! You made the carousel by the rib whisperer himself! That says a lot! You've got to tell us more about your smoker setup and whatnot..

13. Lonzinomaker

Lonzinomaker Fire Starter

Great looking. I like to have a bite also so I don't wrap.

14. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I just saw those!!!! go figure I just ate and now I am hungry!!!! Wonderful looking ribs!!! Point...
    Congrats on making the carousel.

15. bacon_crazy510

bacon_crazy510 Fire Starter

Once again, thank you, I'm humbled by the positivity. And a second ride on the carousel .... I'm getting dizzy!!!

I smoke with a Camp Chef pellet grill, a PG24DLX. I used hickory pellets from Treager. Yes, I pulled the membrane from the back of the ribs. I always do with pork ribs, but never with beef ribs. I smoked at the "high smoke" setting, which runs around 250F, with the usual wild temp swings one gets with a pellet grill. And yes, there was a thin coat of commercial BBQ sauce about the 6 hour mark. Other than that, it was all the Honey Hog.

It might seem as though I'm a shil for Honey Hog; but I've got to tell you, I've met Mr. Matt Pittman, owner of Meat Church, and I've attended a class at hiss BBQ "church" in Waxahachie, Texas. You will not find a kinder, more sharing gentleman of the smoke than Mr. Pittman, and his products "set the bar", in my opinion. So, please forgive my constant use of Meat Church rubs ... I love them!!

16. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I also agree with you that bite off the bone is better! In fact it is the only way I make them now.

Congrats on making the big screen! LIKE!

17. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Bacon crazy thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

18. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 Meat Mopper

looks delicious! I haven't been able to find any St. Louis cuts around here in a long time. Only baby backs, and spare ribs. Baby backs are too lean, and spare ribs too fatty for my preference.

19. browneyesvictim

browneyesvictim Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

St Louis ribs are just cut down full spares.

bacon_crazy510 and gmc2003 like this.
  20. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru

^^^^This^^^^ and the trimmings are the best part.

Chris