St. Louis Pork Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
I've been switching back and forth between straight smoke cooking and the 3-2-1 method cooking ribs. I like them both ways, but to me, cooking them without wrapping in foil give me the best results. Some people like the "falling off the bone" result of the 3-2-1; I like the "bite" from straight smoking. And to me? They are still falling off the bone, just not "sloppy" falling off the bone.

Ribs smoked for 7 hours over hickory, rubbed with Meat Church "Honey Hog". (My "go-to" rub)
thumbnail-1.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg

Great looking Rib's !!! Myself I love texture and the color from not wrapping also they do come out really moist, but the downfall most of my friends like them falling off the bone and dripping with BBQ sauce ewww. Here's a photo without wrapping and no BBQ sauce 100% smoke and rub only just the way I like them :)

Attachments

• SAMSUNG 2018 BIG RIVER 1906.jpg
    SAMSUNG 2018 BIG RIVER 1906.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Nice color and pull back on those ribs. I bet they were tasty.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
Those ribs look tasty. Good job. I know what you mean on the cooking different ways. I feel like every time I cook them a little different. Sometimes I like them a certain way, and other times I’m just still searching for the perfect outcome from experimenting. They are all good though. Never disappointed. Yours look fantastic!

Wooohoo! Congrats! You made the carousel by the rib whisperer himself! That says a lot! You've got to tell us more about your smoker setup and whatnot..

Once again, thank you, I'm humbled by the positivity. And a second ride on the carousel .... I'm getting dizzy!!!

I smoke with a Camp Chef pellet grill, a PG24DLX. I used hickory pellets from Treager. Yes, I pulled the membrane from the back of the ribs. I always do with pork ribs, but never with beef ribs. I smoked at the "high smoke" setting, which runs around 250F, with the usual wild temp swings one gets with a pellet grill. And yes, there was a thin coat of commercial BBQ sauce about the 6 hour mark. Other than that, it was all the Honey Hog.

It might seem as though I'm a shil for Honey Hog; but I've got to tell you, I've met Mr. Matt Pittman, owner of Meat Church, and I've attended a class at hiss BBQ "church" in Waxahachie, Texas. You will not find a kinder, more sharing gentleman of the smoke than Mr. Pittman, and his products "set the bar", in my opinion. So, please forgive my constant use of Meat Church rubs ... I love them!!

looks delicious! I haven't been able to find any St. Louis cuts around here in a long time. Only baby backs, and spare ribs. Baby backs are too lean, and spare ribs too fatty for my preference.

^^^^This^^^^ and the trimmings are the best part.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky