St. Louis, Heavy Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
It's been so long since I've fired up the smoker it felt strange doing so.
I've been busy, meat prices have been high and I've been spending way too much on some big boy toys.
My family is so tired of chicken they've been eyeing the tree rats in the backyard, so it was time to fire it up.

My go-to are Memphis style dry rubbed St. Louis, cooked Low-n-Slow, no spritz/mop, no wrap and no glaze.
Now we all appreciate a nice bark on our ribs, so I laid the rub on thick and did it ever turn out good.

7.5 hours at an average 235° over Cherry.
Served with steamed Yellow Squash, baked Sweet Taters, sliced Cucumbers/Celery.

qOfn99W.jpg

b0ucngl.jpg

pia8Trm.jpg

Last edited:
Heavy Rub? I like it! I have been moving away from Sauced Ribs over the last year or so. I will go heavier on the Rub as well with just a single brush of Sauce, for another Layer of flavor...JJ

I do just the opposite. I’ve switched to just CBP for the rub, and mop with a combo of BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, & brown sugar every 45 minutes. Gets a nice crust on the ribs. But your ribs look real good. Nice work!
Al

Looks great Chile! I do my ribs with just dry rub 99% of the time too. I usually just serve sauce with them for people who like that. Sometimes at the very end I’ll sauce a few for folks. Yellow squash is a fav here. I’ve got tons coming on in the garden along with zucchini.

I'm from Mississippi just south of Memphis....All i know is dry ribs. And those look as good as any the Rhondevous or Corkys put out.

CHILE!! Nice to see you again my brother. Those ribs look fantastic sir. Well, the whole meal looks pretty daggone good. I'm with you about dry ribs. Sauced a couple times but just prefer ribs exactly as you cooked them. I can certainly see why some folks like the sauce, and it sure makes a pretty looking rack, but it's just not to my tastes. Excellent job buddy

Robert

Those ribs look killer Chile, huge Like! I did a rack the other day on my electric exactly the same, I used your Basic Hog rub, it's become a staple, your Poultry rub too. No wrap or spritz, sauce on the side when it's done for those that want it . RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky