Sriracha, Honey, & Whiskey Glazed Spare Ribbs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
full.jpg

full.jpg

Hey Y'all! Long time no see. Life... Amirite?! Anyway, I had some ribs that were needing cooked so I decided to play around a little. I wanted to try a few things. 3 racks of ribs in this Costco Pack so 3 flavors...

1. Traditional Wife Approved Ribs - Salt Lick Rub. 3-2-1 Trigg Style (Butter, Brown Sugar, Honey, and Tiger Sauce in the foil for the 2 hour wrap)

2. A blend of Pitfaced BBQ On Point and Spicy Meat Massage

3. A Spicy and Sweet experiment I've had in my head to try. Sriracha as a binder, combo of rubs (real l with extra Black Pepper and future glaze

Rack 1:

full.jpg

Rack 2:

full.jpg

Rack 3:

full.jpg

Decided to use the Ranch Kettle with the snake method. Pecan Chunks and Cherry Pellets in the smoke tube. Aimed for 225°F-250°F
Pic below goes Rack 2,1,3. I kept moving stuff to avoid hot spots.

full.jpg

Rotation to 3,2,1 and Spritzed with plain water

full.jpg

We were getting hungry and decided that we wanted Sour Cream Pecan Coffee Cake. Then we decided we were adults and we wanted whipped butter cream for the topping... This stuff never gets old!

Recipe Here

full.jpg

Now came the part to make a finishing Glaze for the Sriracha Rack. I wanted to incorporate some high proof whiskey and decided on 133.7 proof Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof... rolls right off the tongue! I started with equal parts Whiskey, Sriracha, Honey, and Brown Sugar. I only heated for 10 seconds to just combine. I added just a touch more Brown Sugar to thicken. probably a 2:1:1:1 Ratio all said and done

This stuff is amazing! Sweet, heat, and a back end high proof burn! I could've eaten this on shoe leather!

full.jpg

Lack of pics here but here's the gist:

Rack 1 Traditional got double foil wrapped with Butter, Brown Sugar, Honey, and Tiger Sauce. Trigg Style.
Rack 2 got single layer butcher paper wrapped as is. just to slow smoke absorption.
Rack 3 got single butcher paper wrapped as is.

About 2 hours later I pulled all racks and resumed smoking nekkid.

Rack 3 (Spicy) got the above glaze
Rack 2 and 1 got brushed with foil juices from Rack 1

I did the glaze and brushing about 30 minutes after removing from wraps and then again as I pulled them another 15-30 minutes later.

full.jpg

Rack 3, 1, 2

full.jpg

One more time cause I was STOKED with how they tuned out!

full.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Rack 1 - Traditional - These are the ribs that the wife likes and requests. A solid go to in my opinion. Wife was very happy.

Rack 2 - Pitfaced Mix - Nice balance of sweet and little spice. very tame and would be a crowd pleaser for sure

Rack 3 - Sriracha Rack - Wow! Did this ever hit the spot I was aiming for! I didn't want a "wet" rib. I wanted a tacky sticky glaze rib and I think I got it. The looks... Damn I'm proud! I stared at these ribs forever outside. The wife rolled her eyes as usual haha. Upon first bite the sugar and honey are upfront. Tacky and sweet. An amped up Rack 2. Not cloyingly sweet but a good spot. Then the black pepper comes in for an almost Texas style flavor that gets married with some heat. The Sriracha says hello. This is where the wife and I differ. After a few bites she said it was too spicy. Not unbearable or unable to finish hot, but you knew the intention of this rack. I made it 3 bones in and then I developed that cool neck and forehead sweat. Not dominant, but a nice tingle. The smoke flavor mingles in throughout and helps balance the heat with the sugar and honey. There is a slight aftertaste of the whiskey. like a muted high proof burn you get after swallowing some whiskey. It might just be imagination and my mind looking for it, but it may be there on the back end. I ate half this rack now and no regrets.

Overall I was ecstatic with the results of the Sriracha rack and will be doing again! Possibly Sambal for the binder next time. This is what I wanted to use but was out. I had the seed planted so I rolled with Sriracha. I'm not a pepper head or spice chaser but this was a great spot. The wife is definitely not a fan of super spicy but she was a trooper and enjoyed it but in moderation of 1 rib.

I think the real balance here would be to not use Sriracha as a binder and just use the glaze. I'm not sure how much heat came from that or if it was all the glaze but maybe I'll experiment more in the future. All I know is I've got some Pork Belly that is waiting for this glaze soon!

Hope everyone is doing great in these times and if you're looking for something to spice up the rib game, I recommend playing around and seeing what you can come up with.

Cheers Y'all and wash your hands.

Great looking ribs! That is an interesting mix you put together on the sriracha ribs. Ribs seem like the perfect medium for experimenting with rubs and seasonings.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Great looking ribs! That is an interesting mix you put together on the sriracha ribs. Ribs seem like the perfect medium for experimenting with rubs and seasonings.
Thanks! Was just a stuck at home idea and wanted to see where it led. I usually cook two racks at once so it's fun to play around and compare. Hard to mess em up. Not impossible... Just hard :emoji_laughing:

Great looki8ng ribs! I like the flavors in that sriratcha one. May have to play around with that. Your second pic of the cut rib is one of the best ribs ive ever seen! LIKE!

DAMMIT ZACH!! Those look simply killer, all three of them. What beautiful ribs and another outstanding write up. Great job my friend and kudos for yet another amazing cook. Man, when you come back you do it with a bang...a BIG bang.

Just plain old WOW!!
Robert

WOW, Zach those ribs look incredible!

I want to try your spicy sauce, but I don't have that version single barrel, so I would substitute gentleman in. Not as strong and maybe it gives me a good excuse (like I need one) to buy a single barrel. :emoji_laughing:

BIG LIKE!

John

Great looki8ng ribs! I like the flavors in that sriratcha one. May have to play around with that. Your second pic of the cut rib is one of the best ribs ive ever seen! LIKE!

Thanks! Absolutely pay around and let me know if you find any other good combo!

As for the pics, I was walking around trying to find a great way to capture them. Seen some similar style so had to give it a go. Really happy with em. Barq and awesome glistening.

DAMMIT ZACH!! Those look simply killer, all three of them. What beautiful ribs and another outstanding write up. Great job my friend and kudos for yet another amazing cook. Man, when you come back you do it with a bang...a BIG bang.

Just plain old WOW!!
Robert

Thanks Robert! I had to come out swinging after disappearing a bit. Had to treat y'all right!

WOW, Zach those ribs look incredible!

I want to try your spicy sauce, but I don't have that version single barrel, so I would substitute gentleman in. Not as strong and maybe it gives me a good excuse (like I need one) to buy a single barrel. :emoji_laughing:

BIG LIKE!

John

I think any whiskey would work. Barrel proof might some through more. If you haven't had the single barrel barrel proof... It's good! I doubt many people would be able to tell it's Jack.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200117194946883_COVER.jpg

Fantastic looking ribs! They all look great but but sriracha one caught my eye... Especially the zlaze. Bookmarked and will try that glaze in future...

Thanks! Lemme know if you try it or improve. Lots of wiggle room to work. I think orange marmalade would mix in well too.

Reactions: cutterbytrade
Wow. What a comprehensive write-up and fantastic pics!! Your ribs look AMAZING! We will for sure have to play around with your recipes. Thanks for your post, Zach. As a relative noob to smoking meat, I am soaking all kinds of great information from this group...

I think any whiskey would work. Barrel proof might some through more. If you haven't had the single barrel barrel proof... It's good! I doubt many people would be able to tell it's Jack.

View attachment 439654
I have had Single Barrel in the past, but I found the aftertaste a bit strong. That's why I do Jack with coke, and Gentleman on the rocks as it is a pretty smooth whiskey.

How does the Barrel Proof compare to the regular Single Barrel.

John

Wow. What a comprehensive write-up and fantastic pics!! Your ribs look AMAZING! We will for sure have to play around with your recipes. Thanks for your post, Zach. As a relative noob to smoking meat, I am soaking all kinds of great information from this group...

Thanks! This place is a great place to soak it in for sure. I lurked here a long time as I started out.

I have had Single Barrel in the past, but I found the aftertaste a bit strong. That's why I do Jack with coke, and Gentleman on the rocks as it is a pretty smooth whiskey.

How does the Barrel Proof compare to the regular Single Barrel.

John

Definitely has more alcohol on the nose and back end but it's to be expected for the proof. I think it has a stronger more amped up flavor profile than the Single Barrel Select or older options. The Vanilla has a more caramel profile on it. After an acclimation sip it's a great drink. Small ice can knock it down if needed.

I like Gentlemen as well. I always keep a few Jack options around :emoji_sweat_smile:

Ribs look phenomenal, nice cook man!

Thanks! It was a fun cook.

Those sure are some beautiful looking ribs Zach. My wife would be all over #1 and I'd go for choice #3.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky