Sriracha copy cat recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Tried searching but didn't find anything.
We have just about finished our last bottle of sriracha.
With Sriracha basically unavailable, I'd like to make some. I tried once before, it was a delicious sauce, but it wasn't sriracha.

Anyone got a copy cat recipe they like?

Thanks!

P.s. previously I added 2% salt to fresh new Mexican red Chiles and a few cloves of garlic. Fermented for a few weeks and blended with some more fresh garlic, another 2% salt and some sugar (can't remember how much).

Reactions: JLeonard
What brand sriracha sauce are you trying to replicate? We use Huy Fong Sriracha Chili Hot Sauce. And like it.

Didn't even know there were different brands...
That's the one we have and want to replicate.
I'm pretty sure this is fermented like you already suspected. I'm going to watch this thread for ideas. I ferment hot sauces. Just haven't tried this.

This guy seems to have experimented some with it. Might be able to get some good ideas from his experience.

I just read an article yesterday, some bottles are selling for $70 on some sites. I like it... but not that much!

Ryan

I just read an article yesterday, some bottles are selling for $70 on some sites. I like it... but not that much!

Ryan
I saw $120 supposedly, lol.

I look at it from the opposite perspective. If I make just one bottles worth, it easily justifies the new crock I want. Heck, I could buy 2! That's the fastest ROI I've ever seen for a diy anything! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
This guy seems to have experimented some with it. Might be able to get some good ideas from his experience.
I agree with Steve H Steve H . I also don't like to blend before ferment. But now I can't remember if I used vinegar...

I also questioned the red jalapenos. But I searched and the Internet seems pretty sure that's the right pepper.

Thanks for the pointer KBFlyer KBFlyer .

My goto hot sauce place is right in my home town.

Reactions: Steve H
My goto hot sauce place is right in my home town.
I'm thinking about getting the dill pickle serrano. Intrigued.

I saw $120 supposedly, lol.

I look at it from the opposite perspective. If I make just one bottles worth, it easily justifies the new crock I want. Heck, I could buy 2! That's the fastest ROI I've ever seen for a diy anything! 🤣
I like your thinking!

Ryan

I'm going to take a shot at this if I can find a supply of red jalapenos or fresnos. Will use a mix of recipes for my own idea. Definitely will ferment whole pepper and do most of the seasoning after.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm going to take a shot at this if I can find a supply of red jalapenos or fresnos. Will use a mix of recipes for my own idea. Definitely will ferment whole pepper and do most of the seasoning after.
Yeah, this adds to the conundrum. Fresno's are available but an expensive novelty. Red jalapenos... Never seen them honestly.

At this point I might have to wait until there are ripe yellow hots (red) in September or so.

Might have to phone a (neighbor) friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky