Spur of the moment pulled chicken and pork - qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greechneb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Central US
Finally had a free afternoon, and did a quick run to the store, and grabbed three chickens and a pork shoulder butt. Didn't get many pictures, since I was scrambling to get some other stuff done. For the chickens, I just did a quick salt and pepper; the pork got a slathering of mustard, and a barbeque rub on top of that. Got them all in around 2:30-3:00

Here we join the smoke, already in progress at approximately 4pm:

da3e44a9_smoker.jpg

Here's the resulting pulled chicken at approximately 8:30pm - minus what the wife ate while she pulled. The majority was bagged and frozen for future meals

3193a58b_chickenpulled.jpg

Here's the pork butt getting foiled and going into the oven at approximately 9pm, 160 degree temperature:

996e9750_oven.jpg

The butt finished around 11 pm at 195 degrees, foiled, and toweled into the cooler. I pulled it at about 7pm, internal temp was around 155, still too hot to touch. Had several chunks for breakfast, and pulled pork sammies for lunch, the rest was bagged and frozen.

308a3c83_porkpulled.jpg

All in all, turned out great, the wife was very happy. Chicken went pretty smoothly, the pork plateaued around 140, which I hadn't seen any plateau that low, but it went smoothly after that. The bark on the pulled pork was perfect, just the right texture, I've had problems before with dried out bark, I'm not sure if it was the mustard, or luck, especially since I didn't spritz at all.

I kept posting pictures on Facebook, and had multiple people who were going to show up, but no one ever did. More for me
icon_smile.gif

Looks good.  I was in the mood for pulled pork this weekend, my family wanted ribs so I "lost" on that one.  Was still craving the pulled this morning.... your pics didn't help!
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky