Splitting Wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
I had 4 large oaks taken down an saved some wood for smoker and fire pit.How long do you wait before splitting.
ISa9paniu81rje1000000000.jpg
The wood I saved
100_0227.JPG
Thanks for any help
Richie

Reactions: sawhorseray
Keith Thanks that is what I was afraid of.Bones need to rest a week after cutting the pile they left.
100_0221.JPG
My neighbor took most of it for his family
Richie
3 hrs to do that
100_0229.JPG
Can't get all of it in 1 pic
Richie

That will be some fine smoking wood, I agree split it as soon as you can and if you don't have a hydraulic splitter see if a neighbor or friend does, it will make short work of thqt pile

Gary

You should have worked a deal out with the neighbor. He splits your wood for his take. I agree with the above comments - split it as soon as you can. Just don't overdo it.

Chris

What they said about reciprocity.

If that fails, wait until freezing weather (if you have it). Frozen wood splits so nice. Still have to wait a year to season it fully either way

Thanks guys I will split what I can as soon as the other work is done.
Richie

wow Richie, here in Gilbert that'd be a pile of gold! Hardwood don't much grow in the desert, I have to order my smoking wood from Cabelas. I hear you about the bones, what used to take a couple of hours now takes me a couple of days, go with the hydro, slow and steady wins the race. RAY

Reactions: Neo
No Neo, I have not. We just moved to AZ a bit less than four months ago, taking awhile to get all settled in. Today we drove up to Payson, saw some guys that looked as tho they were deer hunting. By next year I'll know a lot more about where to go for what. I hear there pecan wood to be had someplace around here, dammed if I know where it is. RAY

Neighbor is almost as old as I,he rented a splitter an will be doing mine in the morning.
Richie

Reactions: Hawging It
We made fast work of the splitting this morning
My pile
100_0248.JPG
had to make a few piles
100_0249.JPG
100_0250.JPG
My Daughter and Son will take this pile
100_0251.JPG
Thanks for the advice and the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Reactions: chopsaw and gmc2003
So you put the effort into stacking it proper and your daughter is taking it. Man your a better dad then I.

Point for sure
Chris

So you put the effort into stacking it proper and your daughter is taking it. Man your a better dad then I.

Point for sure
Chris

I No Believe That
I even made them a chopping block LOL Thanks for the Like again I appreciate it
Richie

No Neo, I have not. We just moved to AZ a bit less than four months ago, taking awhile to get all settled in. Today we drove up to Payson, saw some guys that looked as tho they were deer hunting. By next year I'll know a lot more about where to go for what. I hear there pecan wood to be had someplace around here, dammed if I know where it is. RAY
Tis the season for the hunts. .very big deal up here. Groceries on the hoof! Will have to look into the pecan.

Finally had some decent weather to get the ground leveled.
100_0434.JPG
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky