Spit Roasted Standing Rib Roast For Christmas: My Best Ever!! (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
The past several months I've kind of gone a different direction with meal preparation. I've just been using simple, basic, easy-to-source ingredients, most of which you probably already have in the pantry or fridge. I was getting so tired of seeing all of these professional chef inspired recipes loaded full of exotic, expensive, and difficult-to-source ingredients. They want you to go out and spend $50 for several different things that you're only going to use a very small amount of just to make one meal, then you're gonna have all this stuff left that you probably have no use for :emoji_wink: Maybe I'm on a secret crusade (even unknown to me) to show that a really good meal can be prepared and served that also presents beautifully but doesn't require a bunch of weird stuff that the basic backyard Joe isn't going to have available. Yesterday however I decided to step things up a bit. Not so much with exotic ingredients, but certainly something a bit more upscale. I have a beautiful CPB eye round roast in the freezer i was gonna do but nope....Tracy is not having any of that. She declared that we are having prime rib. Far be it from me to refuse so I got on the horn and ordered the standing rib roast from Certified Piedmontese Beef. Here is the final menu I decided yo put together:
-Rib roast on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria grill cooked over mesquite
-Garlic mashed potatoes
-Burgundy mushroom gravy
-Grilled asparagus in Hollansaise sauce topped with mozzarella cheese and homemade bacon crumbles
-Homemade Au jus
-Fresh dinner rolls with butter

Here's how this came together. Started with the CPB roast. It's a 3-bone, 5# roast
002.jpg

Time to light a fire!!
001.jpg

Roast on the rotisserie spit and a liberal coating of my beef rub applied (2 pics)
003.jpg

004.jpg

And we're off!!
005.jpg

Slice the portabellas and let them cook down a bit in butter
006.jpg

Build the burgundy sauce with the mushrooms and let it cook down a bit
007.jpg

Bacon crumbles for the asparagus
008.jpg

Roast coming along beautifully
010.jpg

Asparagus with the Hollandaise sauce on the grill
013.jpg

Top the asparagus with cheese and bacon crumbles
015.jpg

Roast done and into the house to rest for a few minutes
016.jpg

5#, 3 bones = 3 slices...each almost 2#. The dark color you see on the meat is from the juice left on the cutting board after slicing that I dribbled on the meat. No way was I gonna let that go to waste!!
017.jpg

The full spread
018.jpg

Money shot!! My plate, 2 pics
019.jpg

020.jpg

At the end of the day, this was THE BEST rib roast or prime rib I've ever done. The quality of the meat was exquisite...so tender, so flavorful, and incredibly juicy. I ran a hot fire to get a nice bark on the meat that was to die for!! It was kind of a test to see if my beef rub would crust up, and it did. The flavor on that bark is unlike any I've ever had and the rich smokiness from the mesquite was simply amazing. This is the first time I've done asparagus like this but it's not going to be the last. This idea kind came together in my deviant little head and I couldn't let go of it so pulled the trigger. It was outstanding!! Of course you just cannot go wrong with mashed potatoes, especially when they are homemade as is that succulent burgundy mushroom gravy. Everybody said this was the best meal they have ever eaten that I've prepared, and better than pretty much anything they have had in a 5-star steak house. You just cannot get American beef that's of the same quality and flavor that the CPB has. A couple of new rules did come out of this however. Here are the new rules as mandated by Tracy:
1) We are to have a minimum of two of these roasts on hand at all times. This is in case we want to invite several people, we'll have the food for them
2) The way this roast was done in the ONLY way I'm ever to cook a prime rib or standing rib roast going forward. It was that good!!
3) We now have a new way to make asparagus (which we both love) and it's to be used _almost_ every time

These rules are set in stone, non-negotiable, and not open for interpretation. I'm fine with that though because it's the highest compliment I could ever get from her AND it keeps the money flowing for future endeavors :emoji_laughing: Heck, Rick, who was our only guest (his wife was hammered with cedar allergies and couldn't make it) said any time I want to cook one of these, he will happily pay for it. All in all I guess folks enjoyed this dinner. We did have apple pie for dessert but no pics. When I finished dinner I fell out of my chair, crawled across the family room floor, slithered through the doggy door onto the patio, and pretty much passed out. The last thing in the world I felt like doing was going back into the house to get my phone to take a pic of the pie. Please just use your imagination for this one :emoji_astonished:

Well, that's it. I'm done for now but will probably be back some time in the near future
Robert

Just when I thought you couldn't out-do yourself Robert you went and well...outdid yourself. That PR looks outstanding. I wish I had a rotisserie so I could do this. World class 5 star steakhouse type of PR right there! The sides look outstanding too. I did a 17 pounder yesterday will have to post it up later. I think yours takes the cake though. Hope yall had a Merry Christmas.

Man that is top notch from start to finish. Your commentary on simple “normal” ingredients is one of the reasons my wife and I love Ree Drummond so much. You can make amazing meals that way as you demonstrate all the time. That prime looks so good I feel as though a Santa Maria should be in my future!!

Nice Looking Rib Roast, Robert!!
And the plate looks Mighty Tasty!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Bear

Looks good, but...

Isn't it actually a Spinning Rib Roast?

Ok....when I started out it was standing. After a few beers and a couple glasses of top shelf wine, it started spinning...or was it me that was spinning and the roast was actually sitting still. Hell, I don't remember :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: eddiememphis
Just when I thought you couldn't out-do yourself Robert you went and well...outdid yourself. That PR looks outstanding. I wish I had a rotisserie so I could do this. World class 5 star steakhouse type of PR right there! The sides look outstanding too.

Thanks so much John. I truly appreciate the kind words my friend. Tell ya what....I'll make a quick trip to TN with a truck load of tools and we will build you one, just like I had to build this rotisserie. I've been to 5-star steak houses but never ordered prime rib. I doubt seriously that they could match this one though. It was superb!!

I did a 17 pounder yesterday will have to post it up later. I think yours takes the cake though. Hope yall had a Merry Christmas.

Post it up sir!! I'm on the lookout for it. With that shiny new OTBS tag under your avatar I'm expecting some first class stuff!!

Setting the expectations,
Robert

Man that is top notch from start to finish. Your commentary on simple “normal” ingredients is one of the reasons my wife and I love Ree Drummond so much. You can make amazing meals that way as you demonstrate all the time. That prime looks so good I feel as though a Santa Maria should be in my future!!

Thank you so much for the accolades Jeff. Personally I have never seen Ree Drummond but have heard of her. Another member of the forum that I've developed a great relationship with (but never met) follows Ree religiously and re-creates a lot of her dishes. I just tend to shoot from the hip making meals with stuff that I have on hand and come what may.

The SM grill is an amazing tool, especially with the rotisserie. The beauty is that the meat is constantly spinning so all the juice stays inside. it's not sitting stationary for the juice to dribble out and cause flare-ups. It never has a chance to exit out of the meat because what's on the bottom now will be in the top in a couple of seconds. You'll ALWAYS have the most moist and juicy meat doing it on the rotisserie

Round and round we go,
Robert

Reactions: jcam222
I need a drool-proof keyboard cover and a bib... Amazing!

Now dammit Sandy, a few threads back I asked you to send me a PM with your address and I'd mail you a bib and drool bucket to hang around your neck. If you're not gonna do that can you please send me the name of the company that manufacturers the keyboards you keep buying? I'm gonna buy stock in the company and secure my retirement in a month or two :emoji_astonished:

Making a call to Edward Jones,
Robert

Man that's perfect. Gonna try out the mushroom sauce and the asparagus dish. You nailed it hard

Thanks so much Jake. The recipe for the burgundy mushroom sauce has been posted but if you need it again, just say so....or make it up yourself. It's not difficult but it sure is good. The asparagus is simple but so far elevated I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it sooner.

Where have I been my whole asparagus eating life?
Robert

Nice Looking Rib Roast, Robert!!
And the plate looks Mighty Tasty!!
Thanks for showing!
Like.

Thanks so much Bear!! Coming from the undisputed King Of Prime Rib, that's a very high compliment. I thought about the hatched cuts you do but was afraid of losing the juices and having a fire flare-up that would torch my meat (OUCH!!) so just decided to forego that idea.

Fireproofing my meat,
Robert

Looks great! Pretty fancy meal for a guy the was going simple...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Now that, that is the way to sport that shiny new OTBS tag!
That all looks so damned good... Oh man.
Like!

John....cannot thank you enough for the kind words. I told you long ago that when I grew up I wanted to be just like you and Bearcarver Bearcarver That shiny new OTBS banner is in big part your doing. I've learned so much from you, gotten so many inspirations, and have aspired to create things in your image....and that's no BS. I'm very proud to be among the likes of yourself, Bear, and a bunch of other great folks in this forum.

Giving credit where credit is due,
Robert

Thanks so much Bear!! Coming from the undisputed King Of Prime Rib, that's a very high compliment. I thought about the hatched cuts you do but was afraid of losing the juices and having a fire flare-up that would torch my meat (OUCH!!) so just decided to forego that idea.

Fireproofing my meat,
Robert

I understand & agree:
If I had the pleasure of a Rotisserie, I would more than likely skip the hatched cuts in the top.
I don't lose juice in my MES because of the low Temp of 220°, but my cuts are always at the top.

Gotta be Awesome from a Spinner, like yours!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky