Spinning Boneless Lamb Leg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I've been buying these little 3.5 pound leg-o-lamb roasts from Sam's Club for awhile now, thought it would be nice to spin one on the Weber. Punched a half dozen cloves of garlic into it, sea salt and CBP

DSCN4198.JPG

Had the Weber set up with coal baskets on the side, a few briquettes and some oak splits. I like spinning with no top on, clean smoke and add more coals and wood about every 30 minutes. Tossed a yam wrapped in foil into the fire too!

DSCN4199.JPG

Pulled at a IT of 132º and in the house to rest for 20 minutes while I zapped some spargees and sauteed a few shrooms

DSCN4200.JPG

A nice easy meal, about 100 minutes on the kettle and 20 minutes off to rest, nice glass of cabernet, mint apple jelly

DSCN4201.JPG

The rotisserie along with the Vortex and SnS has the Weber getting a workout every other day, pretty darned hard to beat! Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe out there. RAY

Nice Ray, never spun with the lid off, will have to try it. Need to find some splits as well. Does the wood flame up like this or just smoke?

Reactions: sawhorseray
Wowsers Ray that looks great!!! I really need to look into a roto with everything yous guys are posting up.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice Ray, never spun with the lid off, will have to try it. Need to find some splits as well. Does the wood flame up like this or just smoke?
The wood catches and flames up Clif, kisses the meat a little. Just as with an offset, it's the flame that gives the clean smoke. Spinning with the top off gives you clean smoke and the temp doesn't get too hot, a 5-6 pound yardbird takes about two hours. Thanks for the Like! RAY

Wowsers Ray that looks great!!! I really need to look into a roto with everything yous guys are posting up. Point for sure Chris
Thanks Chris, the spinner is well worth having! I got the one with the pizza stone, never used it and doubt I ever will, I do my pizza in the oven. Thanks for the Like Chris, I appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: clifish
Thanks Ray, I may try this with the T-day turkey. Do you have to add time to the spin to account for no top? I don't think I could source splits in time but i imagine I could use chunks but would probably need a bunch for that.

Killer looking meal there Ray!
Have a roti for my kettle too, and I burn splits instead of charcoal, but it’s an attachment for the Santa Maria attachment, so it’s pretty high up.
Al

Great looking meal Ray
Thanks Jim, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

looks awesome! sometimes have to be patient, amazons prices like to jump around a lot sometimes
Like everything else, all costs have gone thru the roof with no end in sight, pays to be patient. Thank you for the Like! RAY

Thanks Ray, I may try this with the T-day turkey. Do you have to add time to the spin to account for no top? I don't think I could source splits in time but i imagine I could use chunks but would probably need a bunch for that.
No idea Clif, I use time for a ballpark and temp to pull. When I first got the spinner I went with top on for a couple of cooks and thought the fire was too hot and the smoke not as clean as I had hoped for. When I had my SQ36 offset I used to order bags of wood from Cabelas, not much hardwood growing in the desert, looks like Cabelas quit on that. RAY

Thanks Jim, and thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Like everything else, all costs have gone thru the roof with no end in sight, pays to be patient. Thank you for the Like! RAY

No idea Clif, I use time for a ballpark and temp to pull. When I first got the spinner I went with top on for a couple of cooks and thought the fire was too hot and the smoke not as clean as I had hoped for. When I had my SQ36 offset I used to order bags of wood from Cabelas, not much hardwood growing in the desert, looks like Cabelas quit on that. RAY
Thanks, I am going to order some air dried 4" cherry splits from here

RAY, that is some fine grub you have there! I've seen those at Costco but haven't grabbed them (is usually do the rack of lamb) but I may have to pick on up now!

Killer looking meal there Ray!
Have a roti for my kettle too, and I burn splits instead of charcoal, but it’s an attachment for the Santa Maria attachment, so it’s pretty high up. Al
Thanks Al! I've been using a half dozen coals in the baskets to get started, then tossing in little splits every half hour, don't miss my offset at all! Thanks for the Like. RAY

RAY, that is some fine grub you have there! I've seen those at Costco but haven't grabbed them (is usually do the rack of lamb) but I may have to pick on up now!
Thanks Civil! I love a French'd rack with a little mint jelly, this way I get some lamb sanny's, always been a favorite! Thanks for the Like! RAY

Looks great Ray ! Nice work bud .
Thanks Rich! After doing this on the spinner I reckon a little prime comes next. Thanks for the Like amigo! RAY

Congrats on the ride!! You have lamb down to a science
Thanks Jeff! I find the leftovers go really well in the old sous vide pot. Wife won't touch baby sheep, up to me to finish off every bite. Tanks for the Like! RAY

Reactions: civilsmoker
Jeez Ray, another lamb roast done to perfection. you got the spinner dialed in but you with that lamb is totally off the charts my friend. Excellent job. Please save me a plateful :emoji_laughing: Congrats on a well deserved spinner ride (no pun intended).

Robert

Jeez Ray, another lamb roast done to perfection. you got the spinner dialed in but you with that lamb is totally off the charts my friend. Excellent job. Please save me a plateful :emoji_laughing: Congrats on a well deserved spinner ride (no pun intended). Robert

Thanks Robert! Gotta say, I was surprised as could be to see my spinner post up on the spinner. Reckon even a old blind dog finds a bone every now and then. Thanks for the Like bud, appreciate it! RAY

Awesome job Ray! Congrats on the ride!
Thanks a ton Steve! There's still a little more work to be done on this, I have to figure how to roto with the top on in case of rain. Then again, I still have the old Ronco Showtime 4000 in a corner of the pantry waiting for just that day! RAY

Ray very nice leg of Lamb spun there , and congrats on the carousal ride also David

Thanks David! All the latest accessories for the Weber have made it the most valuable tool in the box, and more fun to cook with. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky