Spicy Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love snack sticks. They are a perfect snack for my buddies and me when we golf or curl. I was out and it was time for another batch. Here is the recipe I have developed to my tastes.

I use 500 grams (1 pound) of fatty pork shoulder and 500 grams (1 pound) of lean ground beef or game meat. I put it in the freezer for 45 minutes. I like the medium plate for the grinding.

View attachment 378030

I mix the following together:

• 3 grams (2.2 ml) (0.096 ounces (2/5 teaspoon)) Prague powder #1
  • 13 ml (2 1/2 tsp) kosher salt
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) buttermilk powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) pepper
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) garlic powder
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground dried Chipotle
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) sugar
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried chili flakes
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) mustard seed
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) onion powder
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) nutmeg
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) fennel seed
I add the spices and 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Sriracha and 75 ml (1/3 cup) ice water to the meat and mix by hand.

I run it through the grinder again and then refrigerate it for an hour.

View attachment 378031

I put the meat in the bowl of my stand mixer with the paddle and mix for 4 minutes at medium. I refrigerate it for an hour.

View attachment 378037

I stuff it into 17 mm (1/2 inch) collagen casings. I squeeze a flat spot every six inches and tie either side of the flat spot with butcher string. I cut between the ties.

View attachment 378032
I put them in the fridge overnight.

I preheated my WSM Mini to 140 F and smoked for one hour. I increased the temperature by 10 F every hour until the smoker was at 180 F. I smoked the sticks to an internal temperature of 155 F and plunged them in ice water. I let them sit at room temperature for an hour and then refrigerated.

View attachment 378033
View attachment 378035

I cut the knots off for storage.

View attachment 378034

A slice close up.

View attachment 378036
The Verdict

I call these spicy but remember I am Canadian. They have the heat of medium pepperoni. They do have the perfect spice blend for me with a nice flavour and great texture, a really good chew. The only down side is that they disappear when I bring them out for my friends.

Disco
I'm struggling with snack sticks that are to dry. May I ask from the time you turned smoker up to 180° F how long did it take to get to an IT of 155° F
Thanks 5BD's

I'm struggling with snack sticks that are to dry. May I ask from the time you turned smoker up to 180° F how long did it take to get to an IT of 155° F
Thanks 5BD's
It varies on the diameter of the snack sticks. These only took about an hour more but it is really variable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky