Spiced up kraut.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Going in with more cabbage to the fermentation crock. This time adding onion garlic and fresh ground black pepper.
D1D3F419-873E-4D16-A6DF-61F1312AD1DA.jpeg

Reactions: Hamdrew and kruizer
This is gonna be good for sure. Looks good already.

I might need to try that. I have only ever done straight cabbage and salt.

Thank you all for the response. I use 1.5% salt and my sauerkraut is great, but this time decided to add onion and garlic.
This is 8# cabbage. 6 pounds green and 2 pounds red cabbage. 1 medium sized white onion and 1 medium sized garlic bulb. I’m excited.

How was it with the onion ? I have done kraut with garlic and dill which was tasty .
Is very good. The onion gets lost a bit in the fermentation, but I think it’s because the onion to cabbage ratio is 95% to 5%. Next time I may just get brave with the onion. Maybe some radish too.

492276-f2d65c3b70fe6e859a8150f19637b488.jpg
Spice it up! :emoji_wink: I like a lot of black/white pepper too. Dried chiles will mostly add heat (or you can forego the flesh altogether)

i wonder what szechuan corns would do.. hmm

I want to ferment some one day... I am really into german cooking and have the bonde hair blue eyes to boot. Nearly all "pepper" used in german cooking is white and not black. The difference is profound especially fresh ground. Also a few kraut recipes call for adding juniper which can a nice change. Careful with the radishes (love them tho). I fermented them one time and found out after they need to be par boiled to rid the sulfur compounds. I think onion and garlic are the same but sounds like you got lucky with a small amount.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky